Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 6:56:28 AM EDT
Okay, I found it...now here's my dilemma:

So there I was, mounting a VLTOR stock with a Mil-Spec buffer tube to my AR.  After I removed the flange (?) the rear receiver-retaining pin spring went screaming across the room.  I eventually found it, and as I retrieved it from the carpet that seemed so insidiously wishing to hide and claim it, it became snagged and as I unsnarled it from the evil pile of my carpet it had a kink in it.  

I snipped off the offending ~ 3/16” section.  Then I stretched the spring and re-installed it.

I checked for a firm detent from the pin, and the feeling was positive that the spring forced the detent to lock against the stock-retaining pin.  I experimented at the range, and after three magazines emptied in ~ 4-minutes of fire (I was not going for accuracy), my “shock and vibration test” did not result in any loosening of the rear receiver-retaining pin.

Question…is this a safe weapon, or will I see a bolt through my forehead in the future?

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yer probably good for now...but it will always bug you....you know it will....so order some spares and a few other spare parts to make the order worthwhile and then install it at your leisure.....

you won't regret not having to wonder......
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Its a .95 cent part, I would replace it.

Or you change you fireing technique and hold your rifle sideways like they do in the movies

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say your gun is perfectly safe........but getting spares is never a bad thing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top