Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 10:02:12 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knows about an AR15 gunsmithing class/certification course that is out there to get some sort of official documented recognition of skills as an armorer on the black rifle?  Similar to the Glock Armors course available for Glocks?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish there was.  I don't know what good a certification would do anyways.  

Now, it seems a reputation is developed by experience with picky customers.   How do you get the experience without having a reputation?  Work under a known smith and then strike out on your own.

The guys who take a shortcut with this do seem to suffer.

Tippie tried to turn a shooting skill into a smithing skill.  Didn't happen.  I recall a post he authored, blaming a premium barrel maker for shattering his solid pilot reamer.  The barrel maker was known for tight barrels, and I recall he did not seem to grasp how to fit a pilot to a particular sized bore.  That post should have been a huge red flag the guy was in over his head.

Other guys seem to realize their limitations and make parts, or do simple work that does not tax their expertise or equipment.  Some of the names around here got started only 2-4 years ago.    
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure!

The COLT armoror's course!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Where is it held, how long is it, how much does it cost?

Where can I find more information about it?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Where is it held, how long is it, how much does it cost?

Where can I find more information about it?

I think you should go thru your department.  If I recall correctly it is mainly reserved for Law Enforcement.  S.A.W. has info on their site I believe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone have a link or contact info on that Colt course or NRA course?

Also, What about a Sig Armorer's Course?  Anyone know anything about that?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Sully offers an AR-15/M16 armorer's course that is open to civilians. When I attended it, we had several police officers in class who had also attended the Colt course. All said that Sully's course was at least equal to the Colt's, with some saying it was more informative.

www.defensive-edge.net/
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Blackwater has a Bushmaster Armorer's course
http://blackwaterusa.com/training/courses.asp
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sully offers an AR-15/M16 armorer's course that is open to civilians. When I attended it, we had several police officers in class who had also attended the Colt course. All said that Sully's course was at least equal to the Colt's, with some saying it was more informative.

www.defensive-edge.net/

Did that course cover anything in depth, such as full building of a rifle, etc.  History and nomenclature are nice, but stuff I already know and can be found with a quick internet search.  I want to learn how to troubleshoot firing malfunctions and fix them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.defensive-edge.net/

Did that course cover anything in depth, such as full building of a rifle, etc.  History and nomenclature are nice, but stuff I already know and can be found with a quick internet search.  I want to learn how to troubleshoot firing malfunctions and fix them.

yep it covered all of that and more
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top