Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:13:49 PM EDT
I want to replace my gas block with a new railed one. Pop pins out (the right way - I know that part) and that gets the block of, but how do I get the gas tue out of the block, and how do I get it in the new one?

I remember screwing this up a while ago, but I am a little more proficientnow and have a full tool set.

ALSO my upper is a pistol upper that ADCO made from a complete RRA 16 inch upper.  they also widened the gas hole to make it work perfectly.  I never asked if that only applied to the barrel or if my new gas block will require modification as well....  any thought?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the standard front sight base, there is a tiny (1/16"?) roll pin which holds the gas tube in place.  The tube is a slip fit into the upper receiver.

Apply PB Blaster or Kroil to the gas tube area on the FSB.  Remove the bolt carrier assembly.  Drive the pin out of the FSB.  Grip the gas tube GENTLY with a wide jaw vise grips and wiggle it towards the rear.  Once it is free of the FSB, pull it sideways just enough to clear the FSB and pull it out of the upper receiver.

Or you can pull the FSB off of the barrel with the gas tube attached and then separate them.

The gas tube hole in the barrel is what is critcal for proper operation.  The passage in the FSB or gas block is much larger and is generally not messed with.  You should have no problem with a different gas block.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I'll report back when I mess it up.
(PB Blaster KROLL???  Any chance either hops or gun lube can do this instead? )
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
if adco removed the fsb then it should be faily simple to remove.

im sure its all listed in the tacked threads up above. coming from a member  such as yourself i would have figured you knew
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
if adco removed the fsb then it should be faily simple to remove.

im sure its all listed in the tacked threads up above. coming from a member  such as yourself i would have figured you knew

ooooooooh that stings....

I couldn't find anything on the gas tube removal....

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
PB Blaster and Kroil are 2 brands of extreme penetrating oil, far superior to WD40 or LPS1.  You can do it without lube (that didn't sound right) but there tends to be some carbon build-up where the tube goes into the FSB.  Any penetrating oil will help here.  You just want to be very careful to avoid damaging the tube.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Huh?????

From www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

3. Next, we need to knock out the roll pin that holds the gas tube into the front sight assembly.  The correct size if 5/64".  Try finding a 5/64" punch at your locl hardware store!.  Use a 1/16” punch.  I didn't have one that small, so I just used a really small drill bit to knock it out. It can be tapped out from either direction. Here is a close-up of the roll pin to knock out:

4. Once that is knocked out, you can remove the gas tube. Pull the tube from the front sight base into the upper receiver, until the tube can clear the front sight, then pull it forward to remove it. Sometimes they can be stubborn, and you might have to LIGHTLY grab the tube with a pair of pliers and tap the pliers rearward with a light hammer. Don’t crush the gas tube. If for any reason you damage it, they are cheap. Replace with a new one. Note the gas port on the tube faces down, and note the hole for the roll pin:

Do I need to put a literacy disclaimer in my threads?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?????

3. Next, we need to knock out the roll pin that holds the gas tube into the front sight assembly.  The correct size if 5/64".  Try finding a 5/64" punch at your locl hardware store!.  Use a 1/16” punch.  I didn't have one that small, so I just used a really small drill bit to knock it out. It can be tapped out from either direction. Here is a close-up of the roll pin to knock out:

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/upper/default_files/image009.jpg

4. Once that is knocked out, you can remove the gas tube. Pull the tube from the front sight base into the upper receiver, until the tube can clear the front sight, then pull it forward to remove it. Sometimes they can be stubborn, and you might have to LIGHTLY grab the tube with a pair of pliers and tap the pliers rearward with a light hammer. Don’t crush the gas tube. If for any reason you damage it, they are cheap. Replace with a new one. Note the gas port on the tube faces down, and note the hole for the roll pin:

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/upper/default_files/image011.jpg

this is why i ask that a team member with that many post didnt look through the tacked threads
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?????

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/upper/default_files/image009.jpg

chrysler.websitewelcome.com/~user1010/upper/default_files/image011.jpg

this is why i ask that a team member with that many post didnt look through the tacked threads

jeez louise.....  I missed it.  Remember when I said that I was perfect?  I take it back.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]
ban him
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Before and After update!

That info was perfect.  required a little oil and malleting to get the blocks of and on, but all in all not hard.  I tried to use a pair of boxers to pad the block when I was using the brass hammer but still knicked it a couple times, hence the rail covers on the gas block.

Streamlining complete.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE:
holy crap it worked!

thanks!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top