Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:01 AM EDT
Here's a few gunsmithing Tips.  You will not see these tips on the Bushmaster DVD or Video Tape.  However, these tips will keep your AR15 from getting inadvertant stratches and mars to the finish of the lower receiver.  First, tape the two sides of the receiver when you install the Bolt Hold Open Latch.  Scotch tape is slippery and works quite well.  Use a BRASS PUNCH to hold the Bolt Hold Open  Latch in place when you attempt to drive the Bolt Hold Open Latch Pin into place.  Use a BRASS OVERSIZED PUNCH to seat the pin.  The finish will remain in place and your pins will look more professional.  I also used a BRASS HAMMER to drive the Trigger Gaurd Retaining Pin into the lower.  When done, remove the tape from the receiver.  The Scotch Tape and Brass tools will keep your receiver scratch free.  Also, take as much time as you need to assemble these AR15 lowers.  More effort and time assembling will translate into better quality.  CARRIERKEY
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#1]
bodyshop masking tape the whole lower and go to town on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the blue painter's tape, as it doesn't leave a sticky residue. As for tools for the bolt catch, I just use a Dasco 5 1/2" X 3/32" pin punch and 6-ounce tack hammer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Those tips have been around forever, but it nice to see them brought up once in awhile for guys who have never done a build.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top