Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
Since I am new to AR's and looking to take the AR plunge, I would like to save myself some headaches and start out with a quality lower.  Actualy I am looking for a quality total gun but, wish to add various uppers in the future such as the .204 Ruger.  I want a gun that is sub MOA, great trigger and light, if possible.  I have looked at Bushmaster, especially the carbon fiber lower.  Does the carbon fiber lower hold up?  I have also looked at DPMS and Les Bauer.  What would you reccommend?  Please give me the pros and cons and things I should look for.  Thanks for your help!

Glen
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
i would just stick with a std alum. bushmaster lower
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
for fit, finish and $$$ I see notheing wrong with RRA. Ihave built several ARs up using RRA lowers and have ran in to no troubles.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy from those companies which have a reputation for consistent specs. There really is no "best", it comes down to what you personally want and/or can afford. Truly, you'll find one mans treasure is another mans trash, and the threads are here to prove it.

I've built AR's on Bushmaster, Eagle/ArmaLite, Colt and Rock River Arms lowers. Have had excellent results from all, and all were perfectly in spec. If there were no identifiable marks on the lowers, I would have NO IDEA which was which (except the Colt, which had different size trigger pins-AHHHHHHHHHH, Colt!). Fit and finish were all perfect. And all those for whom the specific weapons were built were pleased. I've never had ONE complaint.

So, dude, it's entirely up to you and your wallet. Which is basically a truism for everything else in your life.

Prepare for the inevitable "Colt sucks, Bushmaster sucks, DPMS sucks and I'll only use XYZ lowers 'cuz that's what the MILITARY uses and I've got a cuzzin twice removed who knows a Special Forces SEALS Green Beret Marine Recon sniper guy in Iraq  who sez he used his XYZ built M16 to launch a new guided weapon which single handedly wiped out the Taliban, but he can't talk about it...", etc., etc., you'll see it all.

Good friggin luck
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
for fit, finish and $$$ I see notheing wrong with RRA. Ihave built several ARs up using RRA lowers and have ran in to no troubles.

+1 for rra, there fit and finish is great
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the LMT and or LCW lowers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Buy from those companies which have a reputation for consistent specs. There really is no "best", it comes down to what you personally want and/or can afford. Truly, you'll find one mans treasure is another mans trash, and the threads are here to prove it.

I've built AR's on Bushmaster, Eagle/ArmaLite, Colt and Rock River Arms lowers. Have had excellent results from all, and all were perfectly in spec. If there were no identifiable marks on the lowers, I would have NO IDEA which was which (except the Colt, which had different size trigger pins-AHHHHHHHHHH, Colt!). Fit and finish were all perfect. And all those for whom the specific weapons were built were pleased. I've never had ONE complaint.

So, dude, it's entirely up to you and your wallet. Which is basically a truism for everything else in your life.

Prepare for the inevitable "Colt sucks, Bushmaster sucks, DPMS sucks and I'll only use XYZ lowers 'cuz that's what the MILITARY uses and I've got a cuzzin twice removed who knows a Special Forces SEALS Green Beret Marine Recon sniper guy in Iraq  who sez he used his XYZ built M16 to launch a new guided weapon which single handedly wiped out the Taliban, but he can't talk about it...", etc., etc., you'll see it all.

Good friggin luck

Basically a +1, with one added comment.  If at all possible, buy your lower at a store or gun show, where you can inspect it brfore putting down the money.

Why? Because even the best of the makers will put out pieces that, while in spec dimensionally, may have finish issues or tool marks that you may find hard to live with.

It's become a world in which the purchaser is expected to be the final inspector in the manufacturing process. Now, I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't so, but that seems to be the way the world is these days.

And please---ignore the guys who may well write in, in response to this, and tell you that they mail ordered brand X, or Y, or Z, and it's perfect.  I'm glad theirs was perfect, but I promise you not everything that comes off that production line is
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the true life reply.  

I see Les Bauer seems to be much more $ then the rest.  Is there guns/products worth it?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like the LMT and or LCW lowers.

Ok who is LMT and LMW?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#10]
LMT is lewis Machine and Tool, They make parts for themselves, and others, very good quality. Look in the ee section of this site, you will see almost every brand on the market, and compare their prices. I have Bushmaster, and a few stag lowers, I like them both, and the finish is equal. Stag is a lot cheaper than Bushmaster though, as long as you stay with one of the better name Co.s you will get a quality lower. All the ones mentioned so far in your post are good quality.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Also LMT seems to be the Cadillac of ARs, but they make other Co's products, so you could get another brand name, and still have a LMT, it would just have someone elses logo on it. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  The Stag lowers I own, have a higher shelf in the rear of the lower, and prevent me from putting an acu wedge in it, no real big deal. The accu wedge takes a little of the slop out of the upper and lower fit, others may or may not like them, but I like the tighter fit. JMO
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Get something with a young horsey up on his hind legs on the left side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Ameetec Arms is what I use now, I have used Bushie and RRA but I really like the fit and finish on the Ameetec lowers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Stag.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
LAR
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Stag or Ameetec have always worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]
a lower that costs $12,000 if you know what I mean...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have seven RRA lowers and they are great, purchased one yesterday and the fit and finish is great.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The Stag lowers I own, have a higher shelf in the rear of the lower, and prevent me from putting an acu wedge in it, no real big deal. The accu wedge takes a little of the slop out of the upper and lower fit, others may or may not like them, but I like the tighter fit. JMO

Ummm; You see those little steps on the underside of the AccuWedge? They're so you can take a razor blade and slice off enough of the bottom to fit between a Conti built lower, and the rear lug of the upper.

(Sigh. We Georgia boys have to tell you Alabamans how to do everything)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Also LMT seems to be the Cadillac of ARs, but they make other Co's products, so you could get another brand name, and still have a LMT, it would just have someone elses logo on it. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.  The Stag lowers I own, have a higher shelf in the rear of the lower, and prevent me from putting an acu wedge in it, no real big deal. The accu wedge takes a little of the slop out of the upper and lower fit, others may or may not like them, but I like the tighter fit. JMO

Usually the Stag lowers have a nice tight fit and don;t need a Accuwedge.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Usually the Stag lowers have a nice tight fit and don;t need a Accuwedge.

Both mine have a good fit without an accuwedge.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:15:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Good friggin luckhr

+1

If you are looking for a good Lower from a quality small match rifle builder check out Compass Lake http://www.compasslake.com/CLE%20Lowers.htm

You have to fit the upper to the lower with just a little file work, but there is no slop what-so ever. It only took about 5 minutes to get it just right with both a bushmater upper and LMT Upper. I much prefer the fit of this lower and lockup compared to my Factory AR10. IMHO It just makes for a nicer rifle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm no guru on building AR's but from what I've read over the last 2 yrs on this forum....A lower is a lower, they might vary SLIGHTLY in color but they ALL fit and look good. Basically, find one that you like the engraving on the side of it and go with it. I have a DPMS lower and a CMMGinc lower and they look the same from 10 feet away. Get up close and you'll notice the different engraving on them. Put a blind fold on and shoulder them....you won't know which is which.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top