Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 12:15:39 PM EDT
I am considering yet another build and I have started to consider using cheaper parts, to see how cheaply I can actually build a good, reliable, and quality rifle.

I have never handled or seen any MEGA parts.  How do these stack up to Rock River.  In the past I have only used Rock River and I think that for the money it is the best going.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my builds is using a Mega gator lower, and the fit and finish are top notch. If you're looking to build the cheapest quality rifle possible, I think buying a Mega or Stag lower would be a good way to save some money. Given that it's not a stressed portion of the weapon, you could use the money to buy a nicer bolt, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
What are the "gator teeth" that I hear about on the mag well?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It's just a textured portion of the lower in front of the mag well. I don't think it serves any purpose except to assist in using the mag well as a grip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Mega makes excellant lowers and uppers. I've buiilt with them several times. You can pay more but you can't buy better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Id go with a Mega again over any otherbrand out there. You can beat the price and the quality is just exceptional. Both mf my builds are done on Mega Gator lowers and both are super nice builds.  You wouldnt be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Mega makes excellant lowers and uppers. I've buiilt with them several times. You can pay more but you can't buy better.

Damn, I think you summed that up quite nicely.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, I think you summed that up quite nicely.

Revision of an old line from my MRI days. Whilst speaking of GE units. You can buy better but you can't pay more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I ended up with a Stinger lower in a trade and it has a nice finish to it.  Stinger is made by Mega.  I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  
If you want to save a little more money you can go with a Essential Arms lower (cast or forged), see the EA question in the AR Discussion forum.   I had 2 of their early 90's cast lowers and I liked them.  A friend of mine built 2 ARs with EAs since the ban lifted and he's well satisfied also.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Mega=Nice

Echoing what's been said above, you can spend more on a big name lower but you'd end up wasting your money.

Mega Machine has a very good attention to detail.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am considering yet another build and I have started to consider using cheaper parts, to see how cheaply I can actually build a good, reliable, and quality rifle.

I have never handled or seen any MEGA parts.  How do these stack up to Rock River.  In the past I have only used Rock River and I think that for the money it is the best going.

I would take my Mega's (3)over my RRA, Bushy, or my old Colt at any price.  They are a work of art compared to the others as far a finish and fit.   The Mega's  are new I just bought them not to long ago and I will be buying a few more striped next month.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]
MEGAs are great

cool logo, gator grips, dark black and tight finish all for ~$100

cant beat that
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 i dig mine!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#13]
OK I'm sold. Which vendors carry the MEGA ?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
ameetec or mega themselves.

ilbis sells them in the ee.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
i posted on this some time back and didn't get much of a response.  i ended up buying some RRA and Superior stuff and really was happy with them.

all i have heard about mega has been positive.

hope this helps.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's something negative. I had a really hard time installing the takedown pin. The hole on the left hand side was very, very tight. I had to ream it out a little.

Other than that, everything went swimingly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK I'm sold. Which vendors carry the MEGA ?

Look no further.  John will take care of you.  He has some of the best prices around, and free shipping on anything over $20, which is pretty much everything.  Too bad he is out of stock of Mega stuff right now, but I did e-mail him and he should have Mega uppers with M4 cuts back in stock soon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I just purchased and assembled my build I used a mega lower with an oly upper
my rear pin is also very tight ...I was told that it would losen up with a few round +200 rounds and it is still tight
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Mega=The BEST Magwell and finish in the business!  These are aerospace machinists just showing off!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#20]
In regards to the tight pins, both my front and rear takedown pins require the use of a small mallet and plastic punch to get them out so I can change uppers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In regards to the tight pins, both my front and rear takedown pins require the use of a small mallet and plastic punch to get them out so I can change uppers.

Well, my Stag pins are pretty damn tight as well.  Though they are loosening up.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#22]
tag

just so I can remember to use a Mega when I do my first build next month.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I've built 6 ARs on Mega lowers.  All had excellent finishes and four were flawless in every way... but two were slightly out-of-spec (by "slightly" I mean nothing that couldn't be handled by a "shadetree gunsmith").  One set of threads on each of the two (for the receiver extension and the PG screw, respectively) were too tight as received to be used as-is.  (I tried numerous receiver extensions and PG screws from different manufacturers on both the OOS and other receivers before working on the receiver threads themselves - trust me, it was the receivers, not the parts.)

All of that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again to build a budget-minded AR.  My 6 were early production models and, as I said, 4 were flawless and the other two needed only very minor work.  I also have no doubt that they would have exchanged them if I'd asked... I just decided to handle it myself since it was so minor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I also really liked my Mega.  I would recommend:
http://www.carricozarmory.com/lowers.htm

But they appear to be out-of-stock.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top