Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:19:35 PM EDT
So, I'm finally starting to piece it all together. I've lurked on this forum for at least half a year and used the search button probably 100 times. This is what I've come up with for my build:

1. CMT/Stag upper with M16 BCG and CH
2. CMT/Stag lower with CMT/Stag LPK (if they ever become available again)
3. CMT/Stag M4 6 pos. stock with Enidine buffer
4. CMMG midlength 14.7 with vortex FH or 16 inch barrel
5. PRI low profile gas block (and gas tube of couse)
6. Daniel Defense or Samson FF
7. PRI front sight, GGG rear sight

So what do you think? This gun will be built  to shoot paper mostly but also to be reliable (for classes maybe). Do I need half of this stuff just to shoot paper....no I don't, but I think the pieces that I'm using will ensure SOME reliability if its called for. I've read that CMT/Stag parts are used for "bigger names"  and some of the more "in the know" members seem to like it, and so I used it for all moving parts except the buffer. I also was gunning for a well balanced gun. I'm hoping I've accomplished this, but I'll need your help as I've never handled an AR15 in this configuration.

Some questions:

1. How much do you think this will weigh? Under 10 lbs?
2. Is there any marginal difference in going with the 14.7 inch barrel as opposed to the 16 inch. I know that longer barrels increase velocity. Most targets will be UNDER 100  yards but a few times I'll go out to 300 yards.
3. Is there anything you would change?
4. Do you think I'm an idiot and should go with a factory built gun? A VERY respected member noted that many, many frankenstein built guns failed a lot in his combat courses. This is not good. This is why I'm' going with mostly CMT/stag parts, but do you think I should just buy a total package gun for my first AR?

I know this was long, but I really appreciate your input. Hopefully, you can tell I have researched and researched to get to my "perfect" gun and don't think I'm  just taking up space on the server. I look forward to your critiques.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not too familiar with the stag stuff but I;ll tell you one little thing you might run into. 14.7" barrel unless you have a perminant muzzle brake installed is illegal. Barrel has to be atleast 16" long to meet requirements. As for Frankenstein failing... I've never had an issue with mine. But best of luck, I usually get soem sort of kit to just slap everything together a little easier but I'm working on a true frankenstein in my book right now.

Semper Fidelis
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not too familiar with the stag stuff but I;ll tell you one little thing you might run into. 14.7" barrel unless you have a perminant muzzle brake installed is illegal. Barrel has to be atleast 16" long to meet requirements. As for Frankenstein failing... I've never had an issue with mine. But best of luck, I usually get soem sort of kit to just slap everything together a little easier but I'm working on a true frankenstein in my book right now.hr

Hopefully the pinned and welded Vortex FH will get the 14.7 inch barrel up to spec.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
-It will be heavy with the FF rail and the buffer, prob close to 10ish if not more with optics.

2. Is there any marginal difference in going with the 14.7 inch barrel as opposed to the 16 inch. I know that longer barrels increase velocity. Most targets will be UNDER 100  yards but a few times I'll go out to 300 yards.
-For paper its fine, for protection you shouldnt be engaging targets over 300 yards (unless you have a house the size of bill gates). Even so it will still poke a hole in a bad guy at 300 yards and it is doubtful that he can engage you sucessfully with his kel-tec pistol at 300 yards. Frankly I think this whole fragmentation thing has gotten out of hand. Its a trade off between portability and fragmentation, you have to choose which is more important.

-Vltor, magpul, or LMT stock? Also I dont know if I would go with a buffer right off the bat, I think a better choice would be a nice optic and then the buffer later on. VHG?

4. Do you think I'm an idiot and should go with a factory built gun? A VERY respected member noted that many, many frankenstein built guns failed a lot in his combat courses. This is not good. This is why I'm' going with mostly CMT/stag parts, but do you think I should just buy a total package gun for my first AR?
-most people that have problems with franken guns have inferior parts in them. As long as you stay with quality parts I dont see how you will have an increased failure rate. Also alot of people build their gun and take it to a combat course the next day to show off, you need to shoot at least 500 rounds with your rifle and have tested all your mags you are going to use before you go to a combat course.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
-It will be heavy with the FF rail and the buffer, prob close to 10ish if not more with optics.

-For paper its fine, for protection you shouldnt be engaging targets over 300 yards (unless you have a house the size of bill gates). Even so it will still poke a hole in a bad guy at 300 yards and it is doubtful that he can engage you sucessfully with his kel-tec pistol at 300 yards. Frankly I think this whole fragmentation thing has gotten out of hand. Its a trade off between portability and fragmentation, you have to choose which is more important.

-Vltor, magpul, or LMT stock? Also I dont know if I would go with a buffer right off the bat, I think a better choice would be a nice optic and then the buffer later on. VHG?

-most people that have problems with franken guns have inferior parts in them. As long as you stay with quality parts I dont see how you will have an increased failure rate. Also alot of people build their gun and take it to a combat course the next day to show off, you need to shoot at least 500 rounds with your rifle and have tested all your mags you are going to use before you go to a combat course.

I figured scopes and VHG would come after I get comfortable with irons. And, after all of this, I'll need time to buid up the ole savings account.........LOL. Thanks for you input.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody else?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd do what Disco said and dump the Endine and look into a better stock or put it toward optics..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top