Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 1:51:12 PM EDT
i have the A2 buttstock full of lead already and don't want to add weight inside the forearm.  are their any other ways of adding weight without making my rig look like shit?  i wondered if there are any bolt on weights?  i'd like to shoot off bags without the rifle moving at all.  let me know if this notion is lunacy.  

i'm under the distinct impression it can be done with a little help.

thanks,

septic tank

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Solid wedge weight in the butt stock, then use tape on wheel weights on the inside of the forearm tube.  With a bull barrel, this will put you upwards of 16 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
if you dont want to add weight in the forarm or to the outside of the rifle the only other place is inside the magazine.  your not going to get much in there though and its not going to help ballance the rifle.

add the wheel weights inside the forend.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot p-dogs from a bench that swivels. I was wanting the same thing to keep my site picture while firing.
I was going to try a 6" bi pod opened on a tall sand bag with Velcro wrapped around the bag and forearm. The bi pod would recoil back on the bag.
Just a idea I was going to try out there next year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS makes a steel lower, IIRC it adds about a pound.  Essential arms is supposed to be coming out with a steel lower also.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My DPMS is stailess steel  with 16" barrel I put a 24" upper together for more weight. I just need the lead wedge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
that ss lower looks awesome.  if you dont want your rifle to jump around as much use a sling and hold it tight.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
i've got something else in mind all together.  i've come up with a bolt on item i'm fashioning out of a tube and some iron.  i'll put pics up assuming i'm successful.

easy E - nice rig.  that ss lower is kick ass!

any more suggestions are welcome!

thanks,

s. tank

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:22:52 AM EDT
[#9]
you could also try using heavier components inside the rifle to reduce recoil

enhanced carrier
mgi rate/recoil reducing buffer
mgi 2x recoil spring

i use the mgi buffer in my rifles and it helps quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My DPMS is stailess steel  with 16" barrel I put a 24" upper together for more weight. I just need the lead wedge.
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/ardpws.jpg

that is one badass picture with a great looking rifle in it.

wish there was places like that to shoot around where im at.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

How far are shooting with this setup!
It looks great!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My DPMS is stainless steel  with 16" barrel I put a 24" upper together for more weight. I just need the lead wedge.

How far are shooting with this setup!
It looks great!

Thanks guys
That pic is from South Dakota we were shooting p-dogs out there. My DPMS shoots Winchester silver tips in 55gr real well.
I had it sited in on at 100 yards and 2.5" low at 250 yards. It has a 16" barrel in the pic with 1in9 twist. I just built a 24" 1 in 14 upper to shoot 35gr bullets next year. I'm hoping for flat shooting to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks guys
That pic is from South Dakota we were shooting p-dogs out there. My DPMS shoots Winchester silver tips in 55gr real well.
I had it sited in on at 100 yards and 2.5" low at 250 yards. It has a 16" barrel in the pic with 1in9 twist. I just built a 24" 1 in 14 upper to shoot 35gr bullets next year. I'm hoping for flat shooting to 300 yards.

Be sure to let me know how that works for ya...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks guys

I'm going on a workout program to carry this rifle

Icediver was nice enough to sell me this barrel.
I shot it a few days ago with some 60 gr. bullets I had loaded for another rifle. The slow twist wouldn't stabilize them. The key holed at 50 yards.
A friend gave me some 40 grs. to try but low temps forced me to wait awhlie.
Here's a pic I will have to weigh it for you guys.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys

I'm going on a workout program to carry this rifle

Icediver was nice enough to sell me this barrel.
I shot it a few days ago with some 60 gr. bullets I had loaded for another rifle. The slow twist wouldn't stabilize them. The key holed at 50 yards.
A friend gave me some 40 grs. to try but low temps forced me to wait awhlie.
Here's a pic I will have to weigh it for you guys.
my.voyager.net/~ebgb68/24inbarrel.jpg

DUDE!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
any "bolt on" items that anyone is aware of besides A2 buttstock weight and handguard weights?

thanks,

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]
update - came up with an idea to add some weight while being more suited to resting on bags without canting.  i'm finishing it currently.  i'll put up a new post with pics soon.

thanks,

septic tank

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top