Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 6:26:43 PM EDT
I've been avidly reading every scrap I can to help me with this process. I'm not interested in doing anything really different, I just want a nice/good quality self assembled AR15. Forgive me if I use terminology in the wrong manner. I want a shorter gun M4 style I believe...16" barrel. I'm assuming this means I'll want a 14.5" with an A2 flash hider on the end (bringing it to 16").

I was thinking of starting by ordering a Stag Arms stripped lower receiver then a parts kit later...buttstock etc. etc. Are there parts kits I should steer away from that don't fit properly...do I need to worry about the upper receiver having an M4 feed ramp (i believe I read they're steeper and need to match the lower...how do I make sure?)

Also, I see special tools for the buttstock and handrails...where do I get these.

I'm an engineer so I'm very picky about planning a project out before I run headlong into complications.

Thank you, ahead of time, for your patience and help.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Read this:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I think you'll be happier with a 16" barrel.  That way you don't have to have anything permanently atatched.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I just wanted to say welcome aboard. As I am not from "there" I will leave it up to the locals to help you out. They will know better which dealer have the best deals.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok here is the deal. You have to have a barrel that is 16" overall. So if you want the M-4 14.5" barrel you will have to have a flash hider welded to the barrel making it 16" overall. The standard A2 flash hider is too short to do this. I personally prefer the Vortex flash hider, but you can also use the Phantom flash hider which is popular. These two flash hiders are longer and will provide the additional length you need. You can buy fully assembled upper halves with this already done for you also. As far as parts go, most should easily drop into place without any fitting. I don't really like Model 1 small parts for the lower receiver, but the uppers are good. I don't think you should worry about the M-4 feed ramps. As for tools, you really don't need much. You need a hammer, some punches (I use Allen wrenches instead), screw driver, and Allen wrenches. You don't need anything special for the butt stock; however I have seen some for sale for collapsible stocks. (I just use a screwdriver and a hammer to tighten it though). As for handgaurds, it depends on what you use. The standard ones just snap in. Some rail systems require you to remove the barrel to install. I use rails that have two halves and are easier to install without many tools. That’s cool you are an engineer, I’m still working on mine. But I know what you mean. So buy the parts and tools and use that link. You should be fine. AR-15’s are really easy to put together. And I’m sure if you get into any trouble people on the boards will help you out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up on the 14.5 barrel. I wasn't aware that the flash suppressor needed to be welded in place...I'm not to keen on that so I'd rather have a 16". I would assume the 16" would provide a small amount of added accuracy also.

Gundisaster, I'm assuming Model 1 is a brand (remember I'm new) so do you have a link where I could order a lower parts kit that you would recommend?

I was also wondering if anyone knew:
1. The legality of a 3 shot burst trigger kit in Michigan...or maybe a reference to where I could find the info.
2. If putting such a modification on is permanent or can I tear the lower apart and change it back to a regular trigger assembly?
3. Assuming is bad so I'm going to ask, if I do add this feature it still gives me a single shot selection also...right?

Lastly I must add that I'm very impressed with the maturity level of these forums...most forums of any sort are saturated with pompous arrogant know it alls that scream NEWBIE at every question and ridicule everyone for not knowing basic things. Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
16" will give you a little more velocity which then translates into better accuracy, in theory. Chances are, you'll never notice the difference between the two.

You can't put the 3-shot burst mechanism in a new AR. It isn't legal. If you had a registered M16 (or registered drop in auto sear) and your state allowed such things, it would be fine, but they stopped new machinegun registrations back in 1986 and you'd have to buy one of those if you wanted to play with the class 3 toys.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was also wondering if anyone knew:
1. The legality of a 3 shot burst trigger kit in Michigan...or maybe a reference to where I could find the info.
2. If putting such a modification on is permanent or can I tear the lower apart and change it back to a regular trigger assembly?
3. Assuming is bad so I'm going to ask, if I do add this feature it still gives me a single shot selection also...right?

Lastly I must add that I'm very impressed with the maturity level of these forums...most forums of any sort are saturated with pompous arrogant know it alls that scream NEWBIE at every question and ridicule everyone for not knowing basic things. Thanks everyone.

The 3 round burst is considered the same thing as full auto, and is illegal.  I don't believe you state allows any full auto weapons, but I could be wrong.  If your state does, the receivers must be registered, and are usually starting around $10,000.

Don't worry, we have plenty of people lacking in maturity, as well as a few passing off info based on nothing more than what they heard somewhere.....  Thankfully, most of that is pretty infrequent in this section.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So its a negatory on the 3 shot burst...thats ok with me. It would've added some "hard-on" factor but its not worth turning the gun into a legal issue.

Once again, any preferences on lower parts kits...links? I prefer quality metal parts...not crap cut out of sheet metal and bent into shape...I've seen some cheap .223's made this way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Stag or RRA in the Equipment Exchange (at the top, right of the page. Click on lower parts in that section)

You could also do a search for Stag or RRA in the EE with the "Search" tab above.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#9]
MG's can be obtained in Michigan, but they have to be Curio & Relic.  For an M16 that would limit you to the early 601's.   -Ian
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top