Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 10:20:03 AM EDT

I just finished assembling a 16" DPMS kit on a DPMS lower. Parts all looked pretty good (except the weid handguards), but it won't chamber a round properly. Once a round is fully or partially chambered, it becomes very difficult to extract. There are small scratches on the case and a single deep gouge in the bullet (consistent for all seven rounds chambered and ejected.) I've shined a light into the chamber and down from the muzzle and cannot see any visible burrs. I tried cleaning the barrel well in case it was just some abrasive junk, but that didn't help. Obviously I did not want to fire it like this, so I'm probably going to end up sending the upper back to DPMS for them to fix. Anybody had similar problems? What'd you do to fix it? I hate to ship it back for repair after just finishing it, but I reckon that's what I'll end up doing.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Me -> advanced noob.

If it is chromed plated, they need to replace the barrel,
If it is steel, it can be redrilled/reamed to proper dimentions.  

If it is new, just send it back..

Edit.. hows headspace?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Yeah, I should've mentioned that. It's a stainless barrel, not chromed.

Can't be sure of headspace-- haven't checked it. Figured with it having that much trouble chambering/extracting, headspacing would be putting the cart before the horse.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top