Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 3:12:20 PM EDT
Hey I know this topic has been beat to a fine pulp but I just got my new reduced power trigger springs from JP and wondered if using regular ol lithium grease will be fine? I had used the no no anti seize with graphite grease when I assembled my lower last time(on the trigger group pins..I believe thats the right name) so I thought I'd clean it out and use that lithium grease if it will work. Its the stuff that comes in tubes and you load it into a grease gun...used mostly for bearings, joints with a grease fitting and such. Or would I be better off going to buy a can of Valvoline multipurpose grease?

Thanks and again sorry to bring up the grease topic again  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP and grease = gummy mess.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
CLP and grease = gummy mess.

Who said anything about CLP.

I thought it was a good idea to lightly coat the trigger group pins with grease...I think I got that from the How to guide on this page.

EDIT: Ya here we go. Even if I just use the CLP I also wanted to know because I will be installing a FF handguard in the next couple months so I thought it would be a good idea to find out if the lithium grease would work.

Q1. do any of the lower receiver parts need to lubed?

A1. CLP is all you *need* for any part on the AR15/M16 rifle.... and at a minum should wipe down the FCG, safety, and pins, with CLP. That being said, on initial assembly, I like to use a little moly-grease on the sear engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer, and inside the trigger and hammer pin holes. I place a dab of grease on the new pins, and work them in and out to lube the inside of the new fire control group. I also add a dab of grease to the safety selector, and takedown/pivot pins.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Who said anything about lithium grease? Moly is molybdenum disulfide. That is far from wheel bearing or multi purpose grease.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who said anything about lithium grease? Moly is molybdenum disulfide. That is far from wheel bearing or multi purpose grease.

I'm asking about lithium grease...and thanks for the definitions lesson but I'm familiar with what moly grease stands for. Not sure if you saw the last grease discussion but serveral people mentioned they started using the Valvoline multipurpose stuff and it did fine.

I'm just tired of trying to find this super special specific "MOLY" grease...wondered if this lithium stuff I have for my truck will work. The only thing I see special about "MOLY" grease is this, has a working pressure of 500,000+ PSI at -100 to +1000 degerees F. Do we really need that for an AR? Thats all I'm saying.

Here I found the topic for ya www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=246130
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
May be you should do a reread. The discussion was on barrel instals.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
May be you should do a reread. The discussion was on barrel instals.

No I understand that...why would it make a difference in the lower?

Lets say I don't use grease at all on the lower ok but when I get to the barrel reinstall for the FF handguard will the lithium grease be ok?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see why not. The grease is to keep the different metals from seizing on the barrel nut/reciever coupling. The only place I would use the moly in the FCG, would be on the sear. And then, use very little and use the CLP on pins ect.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't see why not. The grease is to keep the different metals from seizing on the barrel nut/reciever coupling. The only place I would use the moly in the FCG, would be on the sear. And then, use very little and use the CLP on pins ect.

Alright...now we are getting somewhere.

Could you explain the reason my "moly" grease is used in the lower as opposed to other greases.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lith lube is the traditional multi-purpose lube.  It's not waterproof, heat-proof, or long-lasting, but it IS grease.  I use it for many common lube applications, guns to bicycles.  

It dries up and gets hard over a period of a year or so, and you might be better off using a better grade of grease;  All grease is pretty cheap.  My favorite is bearing lube.  

When you get tired of grease, which can be a real grit-magnet, try a nice dry lube like 'White Lighning' chain lube.  You can find it in any good bike shop.  

ETA:  Moly grease contains molybdenum disulphide (sp?) which is a high-quality load-bearing dry lube in powdered form.   Moly is very messy, black, and heat resistant.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It's very "thin" and slick. The wheel bearing grease is too thick or gummy for the trigger parts. If you have ever got some moly on your hands, you know how far it smears and is not easy to get off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the explainations guys...things are making since now.

I have white lightning for my mountain bike...good stuff, no dirt on the chain, stays lubed, no mess. Are you saying I could use that for my AR needs?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top