Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 2:15:57 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the AK47-type compensators (as sold by Bushmaster)?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Bushmaster rifle a few years ago with the regular AK-style brake (not the 5.5" one). It was loud as hell.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had a Bushmaster rifle a few years ago with the regular AK-style brake (not the 5.5" one). It was loud as hell.

It’s way beyond loud as hell. Truthfully, without hearing protection when shooting the AK braked rifle, I think a practice bang grenade going off next to me hurts my ears less.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing more deadly is the dreaded Mini-Y comp or as I like to call it ..................WHAT????????
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I had mine cut off while I was home last time and a Phantom soldered on.  The AK brake is brutal to the point of being painful to shoot under a covered range and even worse inside.  As I've gotten older I like my guns quieter I've found.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for input, guys. Even if this brake reduced muzzle rise and recoil 100%, sounds like it's not worth the trade-off. I value my hearing! Also wouldn't want to be thrown out of the gun club.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Come on it isnt that bad. The Ycomp is worse because it reflects the blast back on the shooter. The AK break reflects it out to the sides. This can be problematic if your 3 gun scorer likes to stand beside you and not behind you. It was great and negating all upward motion of the weapon. I would have to say that the AK break is one of the smoothest recoils on any weapon I have fired.

I have pic here of my SL8 before I got too far into the conversion that just had a AK break put on. As you will notice is that the blast is reflected mostly to the sides. I have a much better picture from below front of the break with two fireballs sitting on either side of it. You would notice that they are out to the sides and front and not back on the shooter. I will have to dig it up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top