Here are the particulars:

Stag Arms lower with collapsible stock
Stag Arms A3 upper, 16" M4 barrel 1:9 chrome lined
ARMS BUIS
Yankee Hills free-float railed handguards
Miculek compensator
JP Enterprises adjustable target trigger
9mm buffer

I purchased the upper and lower from Eagle Firearms and they also installed the trigger, the handguards, and the comp.  They did a great job and I would highly recommend them.  

I got it on Wednesday, and got it out to the range on Thursday morning.  Sighted it in at 50yds first.  The elevation was high by about 6", but the windage was spot on.  First impressions of the gun were that it was a very soft shooting platform, much more than I expected, I assume the combination of the comp and the buffer were the main reasons.  The trigger is incredible, I would guess it breaks at about 3-4# with very little creep.  The other impression that I got was that it was LOUD!!!  :)  Actually, a guy a few tables down from me thought it was an AR10 because of the loud blast.  I fed it a little bit of everything, WWB 45gr, Remington 50gr, Ultramax 50gr, and it didn't really matter, it seemed to like them all.  The lighter WWB rounds seemed to be much louder than the other rounds.  I actually think I like the heavier (50gr) better, but I need more range time to decide.  Here is a picture of me on the range:

http://www.woodfam.com/deron/firing.jpg

After a while, I took it over to the 100 yd range.  Amazing how little you can see with iron sights from 100 yards!!  I put up an IDPA target and fired at it from 100 yrds.  I was actually able to hit what I think I was aiming at, I was really amazed at the accuracy from further out.  I used a bipod from 100yds and here is my target:

http://www.woodfam.com/deron/results_100yds.jpg

Future plans will include some type of red optic, but for now, the budget says, use the iron sights and enjoy  :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Neato.

What range were you at?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Backwoods TRAPPS in Little Elm, west of Frisco.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious as to why you would want a comp & bipod on your carbine.  I'm not giving you a hard time, I just can't figure out why.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Killer Build!

Awesome.  I've ordered a stag lower/upper almost just like yours from eagle.  Hasn't gotten here yet but from the looks of yours I'm pretty impressed.

Considering this will be my gun for this year I was planning on doing the whole "one gun does everything" build.  Mine will mate up with bipod, scope, red dot, and ARMS buis.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
ty for showing what the yhm fore end looks like on the stag sweet now which foreend is it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Man that is a nice range lol, what are the fee's there? Frisco is like 15 mins away from me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, That is SWEET!!! what type of rail guards are they?

Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of compensator is that?  I have the exact same one on my new 20" Armalite, but I don't know what it is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, those muzzle brakes are LOUD aren't they <G>.  My son's Armalite carbine has a brake and shooting it side by side with other 16 inch ARs the difference is very noticeable.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the comments guys.

Stickman - no offense taken, I plan to have this rifle do many things.  3-gun competition and bench rest style shooting are just some of the things I want to do with this rifle.  The bipod is mounted to an Arredondo quick release mount so it comes off very easily.  Plus, I was trying to reduce the recoil to almost nothing, almost accomplished  :)

crazyhorse - the forearms are Yankee Hill standard 4 rail free float forearms, carbine length

shingaling - the fees are great, only $12 for the day, all the rifle and pistol that you can handle, they also have 5 stand, sporting clays, skeet, and trap.  Here is a link:  www.backwoodstraps.com

bchboy - the rail guards are from Brownells and are Falcon Industries, I actually didn't like them because they added too much width to the forearm.  I sent them back and I am going to replace them with the low profile ones that just fit over the rails.

dalesimpson - the comp is a Jerry Miculek compensator, and yes they are loud, but VERY effective.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang, pics aren't working for me.

Sounds like it works pretty well, though.

Congrats.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]
nice looking build, job well done congrats
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice lookin build you've got there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
CAUTION

you do not want to go to BACKWOOD T.R.A.P.S.

they ONLY ONLY ONLY let you shoot SOFT-POINT bullets, no hollow points nor full metal jackets.
I bought all new ammo in a military can, I set it at the bench and went down range to place a target.
when I got back a range NAZI took my container back to my truck and set it inside the bed, I thought someone stole it.
He came back and said I wasnt allowed to shoot FMJ's there and to go to some place that I could.
I went back inside to get my money back for the range fee's and some beast of a women told me I couldnt
because I already left the building. Well you know me, I raised hell at the shooting range.
first for not giving me my money back for range fees, and secondly for them being complete morons.

they suck for rifle lanes but their pistol lanes are ok.

also MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR range nazi's..........................thats the kind of place where they make shooting an unenjoyable place to go.

Try out CollinCountyGunRange, it aint the best but at least its better than backwoods traps
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry you had a bad experience out there.  BTW, softpoint and JHP are allowed, only FMJ is prohibited.  

Now back to my regularly scheduled post about my new build  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
BTW ........................ nice build though

we should shoot together

I am in the Mckinney area just down 380 from Frisco.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#18]
NICE!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top