Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 5:09:08 PM EDT
Ok here goes. I am taking a Carbine class in a month and am doing a full check on my AR (my first build). It seems that when I guide the charging handle in slowly to chamber a round, the round gets jamed. If I then pull back on the CH and fully release it the round will chamber. Should the round chamber if the CH is released slowly? I know this sounds dumb but I'm a bit on the paranoid side because the class is costing a pretty penny and I really dont want to have a problem with my equipment. THis happened to me once before (Not Pretty.)  

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
how does it jam?  if you ease the charging handle into place and the round doesn't easily strip.  this is not a problem.  if you are getting the round out of the mag and it just hangs up with the tip of the bullet on the feed ramps it most likely won't be an issue.  the speed and force of the bolt/carrier on the return stroke will overcome friction on the feed ramps.  (most of the time).  check to see if your barrel extention and upper receiver mate up good.  if their is an overhang of the barrel extention into the receiver, this will be a problem child rifle.  

is the rifle new?  if it is, just go shoot about 500 rounds through it to break it in and then clean really well.

good luck in your class
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#2]
To chamber a round, lock the bolt back on an empty gun, lock CH in receiver, insert loaded mag, and hit bolt release.  Do not use the CH except to lock the bolt back.  Safety should be on.

Second method, most widely used and recommended.  Insert loaded mag in unloaded weapon, pull back ch and let it fly.  Safety should be on.

In all cases keep your finger away from the trigger.  Do not touch the trigger.  Keep your dirtys digits off the trigger.  Do I make myself clear?

Riding the CH down is sure to cause a jam.  

Before anyone raises objections (which you could with the way I type sometimes), this is the method by which the gun reloads itself when firing.  The bolt must move forward with enough energy to strip the cartridge from the mag and move it into the chamber and lock the bolt.  The first round out of a fully loaded mag has the most pressure on it and is hardest to move so let the recoil spring do it duty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My Rock River Arms AR did this when new (first couple of shots) now the handle can be released slowly and it will close. The guns just need time to break in. The third shot with my gun was a misfire because the bolt did not close all the way. That is the last problem I have had with my gun. Now it works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out if this check would even accomplish anything.  Maybe to see if you might have a bullet tip hang up on a ramp, but I'm not even sure this would fully show that.  Sounds like a waste of time to me.

To prep that carbine for the class, cycle about 1000 rounds through it normally.  If it makes it with little or no failures, it's good to go.  Forget the riding the charging handle thing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't  ride...  Let it slide!  Pretent its a Lawn mower!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds to me that your not useing your foward assist. I sometimes need to clean my gun quitely and sometimes when i let the bolt down slowly it wont close all the way hence not fireing if your lucky it wont fire if your not you will be sent to hell by little peaces of medal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out if this check would even accomplish anything.  Maybe to see if you might have a bullet tip hang up on a ramp, but I'm not even sure this would fully show that.  Sounds like a waste of time to me.

To prep that carbine for the class, cycle fire about 1000 rounds through it normally.  If it makes it with little or no failures, it's good to go.  Forget the riding the charging handle thing.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To prep that carbine for the class, cycle fire about 1000 rounds through it normally.  If it makes it with little or no failures, it's good to go.  Forget the riding the charging handle thing.

Fixed it for you.

Ya, that's what I meant.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never "ride" the charging handle forward.  What you describe (and it is NOT a "jam") is just friction which is easily overcome when the mechanism is allowed to function as designed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks gents,

I put 1000 rounds through it yesterday and had NO Malfunctions!!

Riese
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top