Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 3:58:24 AM EDT
Did my first camo job on a rifle.  One of the colors that I used was accidently interior/exterior (grabbed the wrong can).  What do I need to do to remove the paint and start over?  I assume that the paint job will not hold up to the heat of firing because of this.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Acetone should remove all the paint.  It will be a bit messy but you can get it done.  

And may I suggest using Norrels or Duracoat for a finish?  I know it is not as cheap as Krylon but they are more durable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did my first camo job on a rifle.  One of the colors that I used was accidently interior/exterior (grabbed the wrong can).  What do I need to do to remove the paint and start over?  I assume that the paint job will not hold up to the heat of firing because of this.

If you are fine with the colors, and the way it looks, I would leave it the way it is.  Krylon will not wear anywhere near as well as Norrells or LDC, but its nice and cheap.  To strip it off, I would use a few cans of brake or carb cleaner.  That seems to take most of it off, then just switch over to acetone/ lacquer thinner/ etc. for the little bit thats left.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys.  I was just worried that I used the wrong type of krylon and that it would not hold up to the heat.  Tried this to get started and when I feel confident enough I will graduate to the airbrush.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
shit i had krylon on mine and break cleaner did nothing. Shit when i painted my gun i used some primer grey, like he said like the color leave it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Is there a special type of Krylon paint that will withstand heat that comes in more collors?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top