Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 5:38:26 AM EDT
Hello,

What have you used to de-grease your rifle prior camo painting? I'm about to do mine with Kylon ultra flat camo paint. How well it will hold? All tips appreciated!!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I just wiped off any excess oil and put down a base coat of tan.  

Then started putting down stripes of OD and brown.

The paint will rub off at contact points, but I like that.

You just want to break up the outline.

Don't be afraid to start over if you are not happy with it.

I taped over part of the rear/front sights too, but really think it does not need it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
lots of brake cleaner and alcohol

also use thin layers
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I only did my furniture but it seems to be holding up well it's been out on two Javelina hunts and several Varmint calling hunts. I Used bulldog plastic adhesion promoter and Krylon primer then Krylon camo paint I would use primer on the metal also.
As you can see I did it for looks more than to break up the out line.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I used MEK to clean the parts got it at Home depot you can get at any hardware store.
Use in a well ventilated area with gloves I am talking from experience been using it at work for 19 years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
aceton !!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello,

What have you used to de-grease your rifle prior camo painting? I'm about to do mine with Kylon ultra flat camo paint. How well it will hold? All tips appreciated!!!

Thanks

Degrease it well, I use Carb or brake cleaner, but I'm not sure how available they are for you.  If you heat the surface, you will find that your paint dries as soon as it hits, which will give it a better look and will not pool/ drip/ sag.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
aceton !!!!

What?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sorry I used MEK to clean the parts got it at Home depot you can get at any hardware store.
Use in a well ventilated area with gloves I am talking from experience been using it at work for 19 years.

+1

I used to work in the aircraft industry for 20+ years and they used MEK and maybe longer than that.

MEK stands for Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It's used for degreasing prior to sealing, bonding and painting.

It's a stong chemical so be careful and use protective safety supplies and good ventilation.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]
How well the paint sticks to the plastic parts...in my case the stock and the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you degrease it good, it will stick good.  Remember to wear latex or rubber gloves so the oils from your hands don't get onto your degreased surfaces.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top