Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 4:37:57 AM EDT
I'm new to AR-15s and just purchased a Hogue grip, which didn't come with installation instructions.  I've tried searching here and on google.  I'd  figure it out myself, but my dealer warned me that people often lose a little spring when they try to do it themselves.

Does anyone have a link to instructions on how to remove and install a grip?  thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
UNLOAD weapon

Unload weapon again!

turn rifle upside down (pistol grip up)

insert appropriate screwdriver in handle, loosen screw SLOWLY and carefully.

the Spring and detent are held in place by the pistol grip.

remove the old, replace with new.

tighten screw

function check.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
ha, thanks for the fast response.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty easy, just be careful!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure that the tiny spring goes back into the little hole on your new grip. You don't want it to get bent and smashed between the grip and lower receiver.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, your lower may use a hex head screw instead of a slotted screw, so use the appropriate screwdriver

DO NOT FORCE the screw if it starts to get tight right off the bat...that means it's going in crooked, so back it out and start over.   You shouldn't get much resistance until you get it just about tight.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
For the guys that often post, " where in the hell is the pictures".

PISTOL GRIP ASSEMBLY

PARTS: selector detent, selector detent spring, pistol grip, pistol grip screw, lock washer
TOOLS: Allen key or flat-blade screwdriver (depends on your screw type)

· Install detent, pointed end towards the selector, and the spring into the receiver from the
               bottom.
· Carefully compress the spring with the grip and make sure spring fits into hole in grip.
· Check the function of the selector with the grip held in place; if too tight (unable to rotate)  
               you may need to either cut the spring, or clean out the hole in the grip.
· Once feel is acceptable, secure the grip in place with the screw and lock washer.
FUNCTION CHECK
· Verify selector is able to move from safe to fire and clicks in place. It should not move past
               the 'safe' or 'fire' positions.
· With selector on 'safe', verify cocked hammer is not released when trigger is pressed.
· With selector on 'semi', verify hammer is released when trigger is pressed.
NOTE: Selector cannot be rotated to 'safe' unless hammer is cocked.

P.S. Next time, it's just easier to point him to the Information button up in the top right of the screen (it where I pulled all of this down.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top