Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:43:11 AM EDT
UPDATE: 09-26-2005, Range Report
This past Friday, I took her out to the range again.  I fired Radway Green SS109, Georgia Arms SS109, Southern Ammo 5.56mm (mostly TZZ, some WCC…some dated back to early 1970s), IMR-4895 loads with Sierra 69 and 77 grainers, factory Hornady 75 grainers, and Wolf 62 grain FMJ.  Best groups were still tight at 3” at 100 yards.  The only problem I had was six failures to extract.  It was Radway Green.  Case would not eject fully and was caught at the mouth by the returning bolt.  I did note that Radway Green produced less felt recoil than any other brand.  Total round count through her was a bit over 350.  Once again, barrel got so hot it burned off the Kroil.  I am very pleased with how this rifle turned out.

UPDATE: 09-09-2005, Range Report
I ran over 200 rounds through it today.  Four failure to extract case all the way (and tried to load another on top of it).  This was in the first 60 rounds (two 30-round mags).  After that, all ammo grouped well: Swiss GP-90, a mixed bag of M193 (U.S. and TZZ of various dates all the way back to 1973...from Southern Ammo), 69 grain Sierra and 75 grain AMAX home loads with IMR-4895, Radway Green SS109, and Wolf 62 grain.  Wolf ammo didn't not print at 100 yards, but it did go bang and ejected.  I think that the four failures to extract were to it being new.  Best groups were 3" at 100 yards.

I built a superlight.  Below is a list of parts and costs (delivered)

M16 upper, complete, no FA or brass deflector $113.30
Bushmaster 16" LW Barrel Assembly $227.00
Stag B/BC/CH $126.42
Complete Stag Lower with M4 stock $222.98
Transfer fee $25.00
Total $714.70

This was fairly easy to assemble...with the right tools.  I bought the lower complete, because a complete lower cost $7 more than the parts alone: my time is worth more than $7, and I know all the pieces are there.

I checked headspace and never disassembled the bolt.  Headspace gauges: no need to disassemble a bolt now.

By the way, the white residue seen on the bolt carrier is teflon that I bought at the below link; works well for me.
Dry Film Lubricant - Ultra Slick PTFE Coating

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks real good, at least from what I can see of those pics.  I like the older style CAR stock, but I know thats a personal issue.  

Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the older type CAR stock too, but I went with the M4, because it was the same price, assembled.

Call me lazy.  

I could have saved about $50 if I had gone with a J&T kit.  The drawback there is that I would have had an A2 upper, not a slab side.

The A2 rear sight is a superior sight for adjustability with known distances.  For me, that is wasted on the limited sight plane of a CAR type rifle.  The farthest I every plan to shoot it is 300 yards.  For me, one setting is fine for that.  I mean, its a five pound rifle (+/-) with a 30-round magazine.  If I need adjustment to hit the target, I'll use tracers.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I dropped an A2 aperature into my A1 uppers, it seems to be the best of both worlds for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking about doing the same thing.  I like the 0-200 and then the 300 meter holes: one big, the other small.  I need to find an A2 aperature for not much money, delivered.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it, I like it a lot! Pretty much what I have planed to build some day for a Truck gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The only hard part, if you can call it that, was finding a very good condition M16 slab side upper.  I had to search the EE for about two weeks to find one.

OK, OK, I can hear it now....only two weeks?!?!

When I make something, I like to get it done before the due date and under budget.  

Maybe I'll post some better photos later tonight...with a beer.  

Well, its later and here are a few more photos.

No markings on upper.

Early Colt 20-round magazine.

Is that a crown on my FSB?  I have no idea what it means.

120 rounds ready for a walk.  Note how the chest pouch hides my fat gut.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
man thats sweet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks sweet and is pretty close to what I have planned.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats good action.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Lookin' good.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

120 rounds ready for a walk.  Note how the chest pouch hides my fat gut.

www.beastwerks.com/superlight/7.jpg

Some people are too big to get that chest pouch around their necks, let alone their waists.

I like the rifle, but it doesn't look right with the M4 stock......and I hate the ergo's of the CAR stock.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've done almost exactly the same thing. I even ground off the bayo lug to save a few grams.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've done almost exactly the same thing. I even ground off the bayo lug to save a few grams.

You'll regret that when the Zombies come.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

??? can you actually notice the difference ??????  I think I will leave mine on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome weapon you have made yourself. I'm from the southside of Atlanta myself....where are you located?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#16]
thats a very nice looking build, job well done congrats
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Built a carbine very similar with the Bushmaster superlight, only difference is that I used the 4-pos stock. It almost feels like a toy because of the insanely low weight.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#18]
mine looks like that except i used the a2 upper...after five shots in 98 degree tennessee weather, it starts "walking" off to the right a little,but not enough to matter to me.I love it! it was previously a 20"hbar, and i rarely carried it, it felt like a fencepost...now i can't put it down....
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Looks sweet and is pretty close to what I have planned.

Me too. New truck gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#20]
UPDATE: 09-09-2005, Range Report
I ran over 200 rounds through it today.  Four failure to extract case all the way (and tried to load another on top of it).  This was in the first 60 rounds (two 30-round mags).  After that, all ammo grouped well: Swiss GP-90, a mixed bag of M193 (U.S. and TZZ of various dates all the way back to 1973...from Southern Ammo), 69 grain Sierra and 75 grain AMAX home loads with IMR-4895, Radway Green SS109, and Wolf 62 grain.  Wolf ammo didn't not print at 100 yards, but it did go bang and ejected.  I think that the four failures to extract were to it being new.  Best groups were 3" at 100 yards.

PROBLEM:
It shoots low at 100 yards with the front post all the way screwed down.  Does anyone know about a higher front post?  I found this one, click here, at Brownells.  It is a Colt front sight specifically for a 16" barrel.  The Bushmaster FSB is the standard FSB, not marked "F" or anything like that.  It could be shooting low because I am using a slab side upper, not an A2 upper or A2 rear aperature.  YOUR THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I should know the answer to this as its not the first time its come up, but I can't remember it right now.  I feel like an idiot.

Start a new thread on it, and you will get better input.  When my brain starts functioning again, I'll let you know....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#22]
You said it shoots LOW?  Don't you want a SHORTER front sight post (you already have it screwed all the way in)?  Time for the Dremel!

Shal1
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Stickman, I am an idiot.    I thought that I had the front sight screwed down all the way at the range: I was using bullet tips.  At home, I found my sight tool.  The front sight screws WAY down into the FSB.  I think that I can fix the problem NOW.  DUHHHHH!!!!!!!!  THAT won't happen again.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
UPDATE: 09-26-2005, Range Report
This past Friday, I took her out to the range again.  I fired Radway Green SS109, Georgia Arms SS109, Southern Ammo 5.56mm (mostly TZZ, some WCC…some dated back to early 1970s), IMR-4895 loads with Sierra 69 and 77 grainers, factory Hornady 75 grainers, and Wolf 62 grain FMJ.  Best groups were still tight at 3” at 100 yards.  The only problem I had was six failures to extract.  It was Radway Green.  Case would not eject fully and was caught at the mouth by the returning bolt.  I did note that Radway Green produced less felt recoil than any other brand.  Total round count through her was a bit over 350.  Once again, barrel got so hot it burned off the Kroil.  I am very pleased with how this rifle turned out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The Radway Green ammo is known weak ammo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quick quewstion on that A1 Upper, does it have the mil-spec front pin or the Colt oversized one and where did you get it?

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quick quewstion on that A1 Upper, does it have the mil-spec front pin or the Colt oversized one and where did you get it?

Tsh77769

It does not have the oversize front pin.  It has the regular size pin that fits a Stag, Bushmaster, Mega lower.

I bought it from someone through the Equipment Exchange.  I don't remember the fellow's name: very nice to deal with, excellent communications, fast service.  Without a name, that doesn't help.  I posted a WTB for a USGI slab side.  I think that I paid around $126 for it, delivered.  I am very happy with it.

By the way, I drilled the rear peep sight to a larger hole: this saved me from replacing it with an A2 peep sight.

I really like this rifle.  It is not as accurate as my WOA uppers, but I can shoot whatever ammo I want, as fast as I want, and not worry about ruining it.  This is a great fun gun.

When $$$ allows, I am putting a RRA 2-stage trigger in it.  I really like those triggers!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top