Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 5:13:44 PM EDT
I've got an armalite middy that I want to refinish.  The upper receiver has some pretty deep gouges that I'd like to fill/sand first.  Anyone know of a good compound that will do the job, handle good moly resin adhesion, and 300 degrees for curing?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Marine-Tex available at boat supply and repair shops.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
marine-tex?  sounds like a bad idea- if it's made for aluminum hulls and not for anodized aluminum, it's a no go.

Try using duracoat.  Lauer Custom Weaponry also markets and sells Durafill which is for filling in scratches and marks.  I happen to like Duracoat and have had good results.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've got an armalite middy that I want to refinish.  The upper receiver has some pretty deep gouges that I'd like to fill/sand first.  Anyone know of a good compound that will do the job, handle good moly resin adhesion, and 300 degrees for curing?

MolyResin can be cured at lower temps....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#4]
jb weld...holds to 600 degrees...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.  JosephR's got me thinking about trying my hand at durafill/duracoat.  I'm stuck in a rut on this OD scheme using Moly (pile 'o OD colts below) so I ordered a bunch of templates and duracoat from lauer.  I'll do some before/after shots of the armalite.  I'm going to do a mirageflage using blacks, tans, and greens to start with.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Marine-Tex is NOT made for aluminum hulls. It is made for sealing cracked engine blocks and cylinder heads on inboard engines used by boats. It is DESIGNED for high heat applications.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Triggerfin-  I think I know how you get dings and scratches on your uppers and rifles- you should get a gun rack made of wood, not made of other rifles lying on the gound!

Duracoat is a nice way to go- the hardener ratio sucks.  They say 10:1 or 12:1 and suggest using  6 tablespoons per teaspoon.  That's 18:1 in my book.  Too much hardener makes the finish very shiny.

This is my rifle done in tiger stripe brown:

I've got Woodland Brown and Woodland Green still left but I'm not sure How I want to apply them...

OR

http://www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/MY%20RIFLE/DMM4/dragon%20stripe.jpg

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#8]
JosephR

You are missing something, oh wait, here it is.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#9]
did your buddy photoshop that or did you do it?  I saw you refinished one in gray last week...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#11]
But then scratches and dings also builds character
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah, but painting over scratches and dings on a firearm, especially an AR is like painting over rust on an old car.  tacky.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top