Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 6:41:11 PM EDT
I have a vietnam era AR15/M16 parts kit and a Rock river arms lower.  

The RRA lower is gray/black in color and the AR15 parts kit is grey/green, almost a cosmolinish color.

I was trying to avoid refinishing the whole rifle since I like the "used" look.  

But if I have to refinish the whole thing to get it to match that's OK.  But I do want to recreate this grey/green.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i need to duplicate the vietnam color also for my retro m16  any takers.  ive heard sanstrom 9 was the color that people used to match early colt grey
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a piece that you can send to Duracoat they will color match it. I did this with a desert tan bolt gun I have and they matched it perfectly. I just sent them a trigger guard bolt.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Norrells has the color you are looking for.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Guys,
Machine head - what is Sanstrom and who makes it?

G21, how long did it take to get your Duracoat paint match?  I presume they returned your part with the order.  

Stickman,  What specific color name would I use with a Norrels product?

Thanks All
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
sandstrom 9 , from what i heard, is what was mandated by technical order to refinish government firearms.  sandstrom is the company name.  google sandstrom 9 and you will see.  this is what user colt-635 i beleive is going to use on the a1 lowers he is getting made from american spirit arms.  in the military we use sandstrom dry lube on stuff.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Stickman,  What specific color name would I use with a Norrels product?

molyresin.com/molyresin_about.asp

GRAYISH-BLACK Flat
Dark gray-black coloration with a flat appearance. This duplicates the appearance of the early original Colt AR-15/M-16 finish. This is the same product that is purchased from us by the U.S. Military to refinish Colt M-16's.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!  You've all been a great help.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I am late getting back. It only took about 6 days to receive the Duracoat after sending the bolt to them.

Now the bad news, they forgot to send my bolt back and then could not find it, so I had to buy another one.

I sprayed a small piece of tin when I touched my rifle up so next time I need to order some I can just send them the piece of tin.

I don't know about the other brands but I noticed my hardener gets thick after it has been opened. I always get the small bottles of hardener and then when it starts getting thick I just throw it away. So you might want to order small sizes. The smallest size hardener and Duracoat will spray about 5 bolt guns.

Don't forget to wear a respirator!!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks G21.  

I'm going to call Lauer weaponery today.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top