Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:34:15 AM EDT
Ok, im sure that this has been posted a million times before, but with recent advances in tech. and the fact that someone is always coming out with new parts for the AR stlye weapons (not to mention they keep getting better) im torn in my decision to build a new AR.  I would like to start with the lower and ask what is a good base lower reciever to start off with?  I have looked at Ameetec arms lower's, RRA lower's, bushmaster lower's, and the list just keeps going on.  What in your opinion (with far greater expierence than I) should I use in my first and hopefully last build? Looking for something mid priced and super solid.

And then my second question, who would you recomend I buy a lower parts kit from?  Again looking for the most solid in quality, and not stupid pricey.  The best would be great, but then again there are so many manufacturers out there that i'm sure its hard to pin point who has the best kits.

So please, work me through the ground work first, and then it will be time to move to uppers in the future.  Thanks in advance for your replies helping me in my first build.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can get over the logo a Stag Arms lower, which is manufactured by CMT, is one of the best lowers out there and it's low price makes it even better.

I also really like the Lauer/LMT lowers and of course there's other good ones like Bushmaster, Mega, Ameetec, etc.

Stick with a forged lower of proven quality and you'll be good to go.

As for a lower parts kit the Stag/CMT lower parts kits are one of the best I've seen.  

I used a Lauer/LMT lower and a Stag/CMT lower parts kit for my last build.  It is a great combo and would wouldn't hesitate get the same parts again.

On my next build I'm going to use a Stag or other CMT made lower.  

Denny, if you're reading this hurry up with those GTS lowers!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience is rather limited. As in, limited to two builds.

I bought a Stag and a Superior Arms lower stripped lower at the same time. Both are great, with a slight nod to the Superior. The slight nod is that the hole for the detent and spring for the front pivot pin is just enough deeper you can drop in the spring and about one third of the detent. This makes installing the pivot pin soooo easy. With the Stag the top of the spring sticks out and you have to finagle the parts into place. But that is the only difference I really noticed between the two receivers.

For the LPKs I went with the CMT/Stag parts. $64 each as I recall. Slightly more (~$9) than other kits, but I'm so pleased with them I don't see me buying any other brand for future builds. Come to think of it, I think RBPrecision has a special pricing on CMT lpk's for first time buyers. Check them out. Rob and Krista is who I bought the receivers and other parts from. Great people to do business with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#3]
ADCO has RRA parts kits for $59...those are very nice, I've used a couple of those in recent builds.  

As far as lowers, just get something forged; I've used Eagle, Ameetec, Mega, and another brand that I can't recall hehe.  Anyway, I just get the cheapest one I can find...haven't had any issues with any of them.  

The Eagle lowers for $80 each that Quantico Arms had a couple years ago was the bargain of the century.  Those days are gone, though...problems with Armalite's QA apperently, so no Eagle lowers at all now.  

The Mega lower is really cool with that nuclear logo it has...and I don't like the Stags because of their logo, but I'm sure the lower itself is just as good as anything else.  

DPMS uses a really nice teflon finish, but they're more expensive than some of the others.  Bushmasters are just overpriced, imho...you're paying an extra $85 for the logo...but I've never seen one, so I can't really compare the quality with anything else.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a link to RBPrecisions ad. They have lpk's on sale with the parts sorted for use together.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=277221

I'm not sure what policy is for linking to EE so I left it cold. Copy & paste.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks for the responces.  How does this sound?

-RB precision parts kit
-RRA two stage trigger
-Hogue grip

Am i on the rite track?  Oh and whats wrong with the stag arms lower's symbol? Looks just fine to me.  Not as malitious as i would like, but if i have anything to do about it, they wont see the markings.

Only the muzzel flash.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I think all the brands you listed are outstanding and I'll throw Mega Machine into the mix as well.  RB Precision has the Superior Arms lowers and even though I haven't built mine up yet, I'm very impressed with it so far.  As far as parts kits go, RRA or Stag are my new favorites.  Both can be had from RB.  I would advise against the 2 stage trigger.  Just run a regular one if you are building a standard defensive carbine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would you advise against the two stage trigger?  Had plans on being able to switch out the upper to a heavy barrel varmitting rig for times that i wanted to go dog hunting.  Would i still be better off with the standard trigger?  Why?  Thanks in advance, i know im new, and these questions have probabley had there fare share of being cerculated around. So for my ignorance, i appoligise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]
So can anyone tell me why a single stage (standard) trigger is better to have in a M4 rifle like i intend to build oposed to a two stage trigger?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So can anyone tell me why a single stage (standard) trigger is better to have in a M4 rifle like i intend to build oposed to a two stage trigger?

I think the advice you got was to go with a standard, box stock, single stage trigger if you were planning a home defense, SHTF kind of rifle. The issue has to do with reliability.

If you're looking for a target/varmint/general hunting type trigger, there's no reason, AFAIK, that a two stage wouldn't be just fine. Personally, I'd much rather have a nice two stage on a tack driver than a box stock single stage. YMMV.

Also, don't count Fulton Armory out when you're choosing a lower receiver. They don't have the name recognition of some of the other brands, but they make a solid product.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why would you advise against the two stage trigger?  Had plans on being able to switch out the upper to a heavy barrel varmitting rig for times that i wanted to go dog hunting.  Would i still be better off with the standard trigger?  Why?  Thanks in advance, i know im new, and these questions have probabley had there fare share of being cerculated around. So for my ignorance, i appoligise.

As feral already stated if you are planning on doing some varmit/target rig then a 2 stage is fine but if it's going to be a SHTF/defensive weapon then I like to stick to the standard trigger.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reply.  I think im going to go witht he Stag though.  I have a sufari land vest and the symbols will just match up.  I guiss im going to go with the standard trigger.  I wont be using the gun for that much varmiting.  Also it means more to me to have a rifle that wont shit the bed the middle of a firefight.  That means more to me than having the ability to drive tacks.  i have other weapons designated for that purpose.  Thanks again.  You guys really helped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget the pictures when you are finished
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Ill have to wait till i get back to the states to build her up, but you can bet i will post pics.  hell ya.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top