Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:58:48 AM EDT
I want to assemble my RRA lower. I have read the instructions tacked to this forum but my question is, I want to take the lower parts from one of my current lowers. Where would I start? I was thinking of reversing the steps posted in assembling. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Just reverse the steps. Start with the stock, then the hand grip and work your way on. Make sure to use heavy tape to cover the receiver in the general area where you are knocking out pins.  I didn't with one of mine.

The one thing you probably won't be able to take out is the front pivot pin. They are buggers to get in, and I would think impossible to take out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure to wear safety glasses. Detents and springs like to fly out sometimes.

Front pivot pin has a hole in it where the detent is to aid in removal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the that hole pretty small and ocated in the middle of the receiver above the mag well?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]
No the hole is in the pivot pin. You can see it when the pivot pin is pushed out of the lower.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Forgive me, I see it, I don't know where I came up with that.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
How do I remove the magazine catch from the magazine button?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Push the button in with something that will fit in the hole as far as it will go and unscrew the catch while holding the button all the way in.

The hard ones to do without breaking or scratching something are the trigger guard rolll pin and the bolt catch roll pin.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#8]
how the hell do you guys get the front detent in without loosing it. I've been trying for 40min.

GOT IT!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I finished my first lower that I assembled. It's a RRA, I used a DPMS  lpk, was this a wise decision? Thanks guys for the help!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
how the hell do you guys get the front detent in without loosing it. I've been trying for 40min.

GOT IT!!!

I hold the detent in position with a small pair of pliers, pushing it in as far as I can.  I then move the pivot pin into place, press the detent fully into the hole with the pin, and push the pin into the passanger side pivot pin hole.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I finished my first lower that I assembled. It's a RRA, I used a DPMS  lpk, was this a wise decision? Thanks guys for the help!

hr

Little late to be asking about wise choices when your done  DPMS is good stuff so don't worry
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The only other snag I had was that the rear takedown pin wouldn't go in the first hole on the lower. I filed the hole a little and the takedown pin went right in snug.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The one thing you probably won't be able to take out is the front pivot pin. They are buggers to get in, and I would think impossible to take out.

I just got my first pivot pin installed. Actually wasn't that bad. I used needlenose pliers to start the detent, then a pocket knife blade to push it all the way in and hold it while I inserted the pin.
My question is how do you release the pivot pin to change uppers? Do you use a punch?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top