Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 4:53:55 AM EDT
My son is graduating from recruit training in a couple weeks so I decided to get him a little something:

A nice gift

This way he can do whatever he wants AND more importantly, HE CAN STOP BORROWING MINE !!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Great gift!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
that's nice but he will need a lot of other things more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:07:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's the beauty of it... I GIVE him the lower and he has to save his spend his hard-earned dollars on building it up. It'll mean a whole lot more to him that HE built it with HIS money.

A couple years ago I gave a friend a Stag lower for Christmas. It was a gift that has cost him over $700 to finish. His wife is still pissed at me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the beauty of it... I GIVE him the lower and he has to save his spend his hard-earned dollars on building it up. It'll mean a whole lot more to him that HE built it with HIS money.

A couple years ago I gave a friend a Stag lower for Christmas. It was a gift that has cost him over $700 to finish. His wife is still pissed at me.

i think i poorly stated my point.  what i was saying was that he will "need" things like a portable DVD player or a lap top a lot more than a Lower.  sure, it's a nice gift but the poor kid will be too broke to do a build for quite a while.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a nice gift and all but it is also a pain in the ass for him. He will have to turn lower into the armory and everytime he wants to use it the CO has to sign papers to allow him to take it out. IF for some reason he decides to keep it in his room he could be in some big trouble. Not worth the risk. This will only apply if he lives in the barracks which all enlisted persons usually do. OYeah, while its in the armory some stupid kid gets to play with it. Now if you buy that and rent him space in a safe off base then it would be really nice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My son is graduating from recruit training in a couple weeks so I decided to get him a little something:

A nice gift

This way he can do whatever he wants AND more importantly, HE CAN STOP BORROWING MINE !!!

I think there are a pack of ingrates here.....

Your son will love it, and he can build it up as he sees fit, when he sees fit, and can leave it at home until it is complete.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A nice gift

I think there are a pack of ingrates here.....

Your son will love it, and he can build it up as he sees fit, when he sees fit, and can leave it at home until it is complete.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Big +1....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Its a nice gift and all but it is also a pain in the ass for him. He will have to turn lower into the armory and everytime he wants to use it the CO has to sign papers to allow him to take it out. IF for some reason he decides to keep it in his room he could be in some big trouble. Not worth the risk. This will only apply if he lives in the barracks which all enlisted persons usually do. OYeah, while its in the armory some stupid kid gets to play with it. Now if you buy that and rent him space in a safe off base then it would be really nice.

I can explain ... My son is 17 and joined the Army Reserve and will be starting his senior year of high school this fall. He's not sure if he wants to go to college or not but is sure that he wants to serve his country in one way or the other. The Army college fund will be funding his college to the tune of about $60k so that leaves more of dad's money for HIS gun collection. If he decides to go active, his rifle will stay in the safe here at home so only I will be able to play with it which I think is only fair since he's been burning through my collection for years. LOL !
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I think there is none more important than sharing your past-time with your son. I enjoy seeing dads at gun shows with their son AND/OR daughter, just like my dad did with me. Just like dads that buy their son that old mustang or classic car to rebuild... its something they can enjoy for a lifetime.

And just think, they're gonna teach your son to shoot better than you Richmond Virginia
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a nice gift, indeed.

I'd like to get a lower for graduating something, or as an award, in general.

I've payed for all 4 of my AR's in one way or another. That's the beauty of being a farm kid, I can have my parent buy me something, and I slave away on a tractor for a week. Recently, when my Mom informed me that she wanted to redo the kitchen, she said I'll get payed for it. I didn't think anything of it at the time. After we put a tounge and groove wood ceiling in, new countertop, repainted all 17 cabinet doors, move the fridge and stove out of the room (not easy at all) tear up the carpet and lay laminate flooring throughout the kitchen and laundry room, I ended up with an M16A2 upper off gunbroker.

Everything else has been bought by me, and I woouldn't have it any other way. After all, these AR's aren't cheap and my parents shouldn't be paying for my addictions

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#12]
These are the gifts that are the best.  I built my dad a 1911 from a bare Caspian Arms frame and slide that had a custom serial number.  It is his most prized gun.  I am now building him an AR15 that I am sure will be number 2
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool gift Dad!

My son is only 13, but this was his 13th b-day gift from me.........gotta keep the BRD flame burning!

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top