Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 12:29:42 PM EDT
I have a BM that wont hold the bolt open. It feels like it starts to catch but is seems that there is not enough tension to keep it open. Does anyone have any experiance with this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
manually actuating or with an empty mag?

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Manually
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
kinda odd..........

when done manually the buffer spring forces the carrier against the bolt catch and all the bolt catch needs to do is be there. the carrier along with the force from the buffer spring would press the catch against the lower reciever holding it in place and when you hit the bolt catch it slides out of the way and lets the carrier go forward.

the spring and detent behind the bolt catch is to keep it down and either the mag or you have to press it against the bolt catch spring in order to catch the bolt.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#4]
DOes it lock open on an empty mag?

You mention that it doesn't have enough tension to lock..you do realize that the only spring in the BHO serves to keep it disengaged right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
does the bolt come behind the bolt catch?

does the bolt catch move freely in its slot?

been seeing a lot lately that sit too tight on the roll pin too.

what i was thinking.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I had it out last night. The bolt doesnt stay open after the last shot, if I pull on the top portion of the bolt release it will stay open, but the vibration of putting a new mag snaps it closed. also, if the bolt does stay open it does not grab the first round of the new mag causing me to have to pull the charge hanldle again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#8]
A problem i've had with a lower recently is that the BHO spring is basically too strong so the mag follower doesn't have enough ummpf to push it up.  I found this by comparing it to a colt lower, both of them without an upper attached.  with the problem lower an empty mag would not press up the BHO fully, the same mag in the colt would.  I guess i'll have to either clip it or replace it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you sure the catch is hooking the front of the bolt and not the front of the bolt carrier?

thinking that or.....

there is not enough force to drive the carrier home? stated that its not picking up the first round.

mag springs?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
you sure the catch is hooking the front of the bolt and not the front of the bolt carrier?

Going along with what Tweak said, when I put a 9mm buffer in my Bushmaster carbine I found (after 15 minutes of trouble-shooting) the buffer spring was binding up on the 9mm buffer's body and not allowing the buffer to go all the way to the rear.  I was seeing the same problem you are seeing.  If I pulled on the CH *REALLY* hard, I could sometimes get it to go all the way back and the bolt catch would catch on the front of the bolt itself, otherwise, it was just barely catching on the bolt carrier.

Pull the buffer and spring out, and see if it's binding up on the buffer.  If so, hold the spring in your hands and give it a twist to expand the spring a little bit... I did this and the buffer from that point on worked fine, so that it would catch correctly on the bolt catch on the last round.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem with a Bushmaster -- couldn't figure it out untill I found out the catch tip had broken off.  Called Bush. and they sent a free one, next day mail and I replaced.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I would like to thank everyone who replied. As it turns out the stock screw was too long to allow the bolt to go all the back. I feel really stupid about this once more I would like to thank everyone for their help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would like to thank everyone who replied. As it turns out the stock screw was too long to allow the bolt to go all the back. I feel really stupid about this once more I would like to thank everyone for their help.

so you had too long of a screw
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah Yeah i was just about to suggest that...yeah that's the ticket
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top