Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 11:16:16 AM EDT
I remember ther was a certain grease that was not good to put a a barrel nut but I cant remember what was in it. anyone know?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Graphite based comes to mind for some reason as being bad for aluminum.  Can't remember if there was a reason, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Some say to stay away from lubes with graphite in it .( worried about galvanic action). Some of the anti seize products have it in them and a lot of greases.
The recommended type grease is available and some are more comfortable using it. To acheive the correct torque listed in the manual it is neccesary to use a grease. The value range listed in the manual is with a lube being used.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The grease I've been using is an anti-seize engine assembly lube with moly-graphite in it. It seems to work just great...I've used it for many different things in the past.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
graphit was it.  I remember that now..
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Molly is OK, graphite is not.  Do not use any lube with embedded graphite, copper, bronze...or any other metals in it.  As mentioned the graphite can cause galvanic corrosion to set in over time.  If you do a google search on galvanic corrosion chart there is a chart someplace that lists metal in order.  The farther apart the metals are on the chart the higher the galvanic response, and aluminum and graphite are about on opposite ends of the chart.
Here is the chart I was referring to:
link
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]

The grease I've been using is an anti-seize engine assembly lube with moly-graphite in it. It seems to work just great...I've used it for many different things in the past

I think it takes a third thing to cause the effect to happen. Maybe putting an upper in salt water using graphite would be a bad idea.

The real difference is in the hardness difference between the graphite and the moly particles I have heard.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
what about molybendum disulfide.  I guess those are ok for use.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

Book Pages 3-39 and 3-40 have the info. Note on bottom of 3-39

PDF lists the pages as 153 and 154
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Does this mean I should take off the grease I've been using or am I ok? It will never see any foreign substances as I'm not in the military. I've only used it on my delta nut and trigger sear.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does this mean I should take off the grease I've been using or am I ok? It will never see any foreign substances as I'm not in the military. I've only used it on my delta nut and trigger sear.

You will be fine.

Just use moly grease, or standard old wheel bearing grease in the future.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool thanks.

Never thought about the graphite being bad before.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top