Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 6:55:29 PM EDT
Help, I'm looking to get my daughters SOCOM lower anodized. It arrived in raw aluminum and was hoping to find someone near Vermont that could do the work. If anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it's not clear anodized already?  I would expect some type of anodizing on a finished receiver, but just asking to make sure.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with Mongo, and not in a dating sort of way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you sure it's not clear anodized already?  I would expect some type of anodizing on a finished receiver, but just asking to make sure.

I'm sure, I thought the description said that it was ready to be anodized. I'll do some quick checking.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it one of the news ones made out of Fortal or one of the older ones?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a multimeter, check the resistance by touching two spots with the probes.  If R=~0 it is not anodized.  If R=infinity it is anodized.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
After you're sure it is not already clear-coated, check the yellow pages under Plating or Platers. Most plating companies also do anodizing. You should be able to find someone close to you who can anodize it for $50-100.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It is probably clear anodized.  Do not confuse the black (or any other color) with anodizing.  The color is color.  The anodizing is a surface hardening process.  Anodizing leaves the surface porous so that it MAY accept dyes.

Call the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, I checked and was told this lower was shipped "white" and ready to be anodized.

THANKS FOR THE HELP! I will be checking the yellow pages. I haven't found too much on the internet yet. If anyone has any more information I'm all ears... er eyes I guess.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
These are the guys that supposedly do work for BM.

pcoftitusville.com/

I'm probably gonna have to send  my SOCOM upper to them when I'm done making some mods and
getting it engraved.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top