Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2005 7:57:17 AM EDT
FALARAK says in his very informative BIY thread that his DPMS wrench didn't fit the LaRue barrel nut and he had to use a YHM 3-prong wrench to install it.

Has anyone installed a LaRue with a DPMS wrench?  Is it possible that FALARAK's wrench was out of spec or just didn't fit, or should I get a YHM wrench?

I don't want to spend the extra $30 on the YHM wrench, but I also don't want a pile of parts that I can't assemble.

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone installed a LaRue with a DPMS wrench?  Is it possible that FALARAK's wrench was out of spec or just didn't fit, or should I get a YHM wrench?

Corey

I used my DPMS wrench on my Larue install

Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corey

I used my DPMS wrench on my Larue install

members.cox.net/boreddoc/Images/spr%20complete.jpg

Nice blaster!
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I do it all the time.  I use the side with the two prongs and it works very well.  I've used that method on LaRue, DD, PRI and KAC successfully.

Use caution when applying large amounts of torque to an aluminum nut (DD and Oly to name two).  The have the tendency to "deform" under pressure.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.

Guess I should be okay with the DPMS wrench.

I would just hate to have to wait a few (more) days to assembly my two uppers just because my wrench doesn't fit the nut.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#5]
i didnt have a problem using the dpms wrench on the larue bbl nut

you just have to find the right holes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My DPMS wrench didn't fit my Armalite FF barrel nut (taking it off) and my POF FF barrel nut (putting it on).  It was real close, so I had to file the outer edges of each stub to get it to work.  Then it worked fine for both barrel nuts.

Bad thing... today I was trying to remove the factory barrel nut on another Armalite I own... and one of the stubs broke off.  Now i'm screwed until I order another one (from a different company).

Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the YHM one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I used my DPMS wrench for my Larue forend. I had to file the outer edges of the prongs slightly to get them to engage the nut completely. It took about 2 minutes.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to file the pins on my wrench a bit to get it to fit the LaRue. Not that big a deal. Don't know why they don't fit, but they will work.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#10]
i had no problems with the dpms wrench. it was picky about what holes it wanted to go into though but worked fine on two different larue rails
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I have found the DPMS wrench has quality control issues.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My Olympic Arms armorer's wrench hadn't arrived yet, so I used one of the military surplus wrenches to install my Larue barrel nut. It worked just fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top