Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 4:21:19 AM EDT
I put together a m4 style ar using a del-ton a-2 upper and an eagle arms stag lower.  Everything works fine, except.    It shoots about a foot and half high at fifty yards.  

Can I just unscrew the front post some to get it closer?  Is there enough screw there for that kinda elevation?  Is there a problem with the barrel?   I already have the rear sight as low as it can go.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Newbie, to the ar scene.  no insult taken.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The front sight is used to adjust elevation. It screws/unscrews to move it up or down for adjustment. You'll notice a pin under spring pressure that fits into detents on the front sight itelf which can be depressed to allow the front sight to rotate.
I suggest you pick up a manual from the manufacturer, or a GI manual from a gun show, or use google.com to search for further instructions.
Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
the obvious, if you have the A2 style rear site, make sure the rear sight thingy is flipped to the 0-2 position. it's something that's easily overlooked
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the obvious, if you have the A2 style rear site, make sure the rear sight thingy is flipped to the 0-2 position. it's something that's easily overlooked

I've got a question about the A2 rear sight.....my AR from M1S does not have a 0-2 setting. The lowest setting is 8-3 and goes up from there.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]

I've got a question about the A2 rear sight.....my AR from M1S does not have a 0-2 setting. The lowest setting is 8-3 and goes up from there.

He means on the rear aperature. The thing you look thru. It's L shaped and it can be flipped up and down. Not on the side where it says 8/3. Leave that on 8/3 for now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Up front where you have the the other part of the iron sights (the post) you'll see how it'll screws in and out to change the bullet impact. Remember, screw it in making it go down will bring your barrel up and there for your bullet strikes go up too. Too little front sight post showing and you'll be shooting way high.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright,  I must admit, I used the smaller hole sight, not the sight hole marked 0-2.  I will need to try again.  

Oh well. I learn something every day.  I still may need to raise the front post.  

Thank you all for the quick reply, even if you did have to point out my ignorance.......
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He means on the rear aperature. The thing you look thru. It's L shaped and it can be flipped up and down. Not on the side where it says 8/3. Leave that on 8/3 for now.

h.gif Guess I'm revealing my "newbness." Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked that closely at the rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I put together a m4 style ar using a del-ton a-2 upper and an eagle arms stag lower.

Eagle and Stag Arms are two different companies.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#12]
big kracka,    I got the stag arms lower from eagle arms.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
big kracka,    I got the stag arms lower from eagle arms.

Ah, gotcha.  Eagle firearms is where I got my two.  Good source.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
God I'm a dumbass... I NEVER noticed the 3-8 setting (small aperature), I always (even in the Army) thought the big aperature was for night-fire, which is 0-2 on mine, which meant I use the small aperature during the day.  That also explains my having to raise the front pin almost out of the socket to zero at 100.  Guess a dumbass learns something new every once in a while.  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I suggest you pick up a manual from the manufacturer, or a GI manual from a gun show, or use google.com to search for further instructions.
Good luck.

See that little bar marked 'INFORMATION'?  

It should have everything you need.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top