Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2004 3:40:41 PM EDT
Is a Rear Sight Installation tool necessary to install an A2 rear sight on a stripped A2 upper? Or is it something I can do without, like the front pivot pin installation tool?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done it without and on my first attempt, FUBAR'd the elevation spring.  Second attempt worked, but it sucked ass.  After that, I got the tool and now they are a breeze.  I can put an A2 rear sight together in about 15min with the tool and who knows how long and how much cussing without.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Got any recommendations on where to get one from? I noticed ADCO had them for $24.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid a little more, but I got it before I knew ADCO existed.  That's a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have built hundreds of rifles, never know they had that tool so no you do not have to have it
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The most difficult thing is to compress the spring inside the threaded elevation post, and then get the roll pin in.  I made a simple tool with a 1/4" wood dowel about 2" long, and a 1/16" slot cut in one end.  

I started the roll pin in the receiver (the one under the elevation knob), inserted the spring, compressed it with the dowel in such a way that the slot lined up with the roll pin hole.  While holding the dowel, thumb on top of receiver under the carry handle, index finger pressing the dowel, I pressed the pin home with large vise grip pliers (jaws taped to prevent scratching.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting... I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the tip!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top