Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 5:03:04 PM EDT
Ok, the ban is dead and may it rest in piece.  I'd like to install a flash surpessor on the A3 now.  Is this something I can do or should I see a smith.  If it's a smith what should I expect to pay.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The muzzle has to be turned down to 1/2 diameter and about 5/8in long with 1/2x28tpi threads. My smith did it for $50.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
1) #50 bucks is the cheapest method so far I've heard of (that sounds like turning the barrel, add a few bucks more for the suppresor and minor parts - about $30-40 bucks for a nice one).  So the total is about under $100.

2) swap barrels will set you back approx $300 (bushy barrel, upper block, wrench, torque wrench - some sweat, hopefully no tears).

3) or the easiest method, you can just replace the upper at approx $400-500 (if you've got a colt lower, then you have a whole set of different issues to deal with, but not difficult).

so its up to you how far you are willing to go.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Check some local small machine shops. I found a small family shop that did mine for $15 each while I waited.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys,

I'm one of those guys that likes "doing everything himself", so I'm getting ready to tackle this project (just as soon as my backordered tap alignment kit arrives) and it looks pretty straightforward.

Just one question: after turning down the barrel on a lathe and threading it, do I need to do any kind of "refinishing" on the newly exposed metal?  Or do I just pop the crush washer on there and start threading the flashhider?

TIA!

kestrou
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys,

I'm one of those guys that likes "doing everything himself", so I'm getting ready to tackle this project (just as soon as my backordered tap alignment kit arrives) and it looks pretty straightforward.

Just one question: after turning down the barrel on a lathe and threading it, do I need to do any kind of "refinishing" on the newly exposed metal?  Or do I just pop the crush washer on there and start threading the flashhider?

TIA!

kestrou

No refinishing necessary. The threads on an AR15 have no finish on them. The barrel should be crowned tho.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top