Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 2:38:32 PM EDT
So I'm doing my first barrel change. I read the posts here on how to change a barrell and found them to be very informative. When I ordered my action block from Bushmaster I also sprung for their armorers DVD. I am intending to use moly lube on the upper receiver threads. Heres my question...  In Bushy's armorers video they only say to put motor oil on the threads. I found this to be strange, everywhere else I look says to use moly grease. What do you think about this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Use some kind of lubricant to allow the smooth application of torque to the barrel-receiver threads.

A drop or 2 of motor oil, a smear of wheel brg grease, use something to lube the threads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about the buffer tube, some say moly, some say motor oil, some say loc-tite and some say nothing.  I say nothing as it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
In the end... it probably doesnt matter much.  Use moly grease unless you just cant find it.... then use whatever you can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Moly grease... just get some common WHEEL BEARING GREASE from your local auto parts store.  Or just grease as used in a grease gun.  Don't make it more complicated than it really is.   It's easy.

DO use an action block, not barrel vise jaws, for mounting the barrel.

Use barrel vise jaws, not action block, for removing, replacing flash suppressors, brakes, and comps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Use moly grease, unless you don't have any, then use motor oil, but use one of the two..  DO NOT use loc tite on a barrel nut under any cirsumstances
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the Moly and will use it. I just found it strange that Bushmaster didnt mention it.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top