Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 9:22:54 PM EDT
I have a 20" Hbar bushy upper I'd like to make into a dissipator.

Would cutting it down to 16" present any problems assuming I open up the gas port to 16" specs? I know there's something different about Bushy's dissy gas systems to make them more reliable, and it got me wondering if there's a problem doing this mod.

TIA.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a .110" gas port for this. The dissipator/eliminator use a gas block in the standard carbine position, and a fsb at the end of the barrel. Very inefficient.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You need a .110" gas port for this. The dissipator/eliminator use a gas block in the standard carbine position, and a fsb at the end of the barrel. Very inefficient.

What is the purpose of the short gas system then? Don't know that much about them but it seems like they'd want a full length system for a dissipator.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I suspect its a lot cheaper to add the second gas block than do a run of barrels set up with a rifle gas system on a 16 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Bumped because I have a question about this. Is .110" correct for a full length gas system for a 16" barrel? That seems extremely large...that's almost double the size of the port on a 20" barrel. Why so large?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My 20" Colt cut to 16" runs great with a .105 gas port. It would not cycle all the time at .098
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top