Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:49:09 PM EDT
I went backpacking last week upto 5,000 elevation to look for a decent Blacktail. Beside my 20" preban with M4 rear stock and one heavy Free Float tube, I carried a hefty 40 lb or so pack.

I learned a few things about reducing pack weight on that maiden "pack trip". I also learned that that rifle gets heavier moving uphill. I am wanting to lighten it up for these type of pack trips. I think I will give replacing the FF with the Vietnam triangle stock (already have one) a go- that is, unless you guys can talk me into a better lightweight stock that won't break the bank. I don't need a rail system or anything too fancy, I just want "lighter".

Here is a pic with a custom wrap I did with "slinky" cord for fishing weights. I liked it better than 550 wraps I tried. My hand slips right up against the wrap along the extended thumb.... mmmmmmm. Also, the cord could come in handy I figured.
http://home.earthlink.net/~valuelinepub/myride.jpg

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a huge fan of the triangle or A1 stocks. GO FOR IT.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I read the post on how to install a free float FS. Is the procedure more-or-less the same? Any tips?

Ed
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I just built a carbine for a hiking/camp gun after hefting my 20" around for the last 2 years. You might consider a 16" upper to swap when hiking--could possibly end up being cheaper and less hassle. It will definitely save you some weight...just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
M4 barrel (with the govt profile under the handguard) or 16" pencil barrel, flattop with your choice of sight, Cavalry Arms (now from Armalite) lower.  Mine, with Eotech comes in at six pounds even.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top