Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 5:56:51 PM EDT
I misread the directions, and put the bufer spring and buffer retainer in backwards, so the spring was pushing directly on the bolt carrier, instead of the buffer pushing on it.

I fired about 30 rounds like this, will it cause any permanent damage?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I misread the directions, and put the bufer spring and buffer retainer in backwards, so the spring was pushing directly on the bolt carrier, instead of the buffer pushing on it.

Id say you got lucky you got more than 1 round off. If it fired okay, id say no damage, but who showed you how to put an AR together, I have never heard of anyone doin this b4.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds unlikely to me. Inspect it for damage, if you cant see any, you ought to be OK.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't notice any damage. I actually fired 3-rounds in a row without a hitch.  Had one really nasty jam, had to pry it apart.

ar15.com taught me how to put it together.  I just read "but the buffer spring in and the buffer and you're good to go. Well I wasn't good to go. =)

I had no other problems (besides a trigger guard being slightly too long, requiring a lot of work to hammer the roll pin in).

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I guess whoever wrote that didn't take into account that someone might try to install tires on a car inside out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
How can you justify it being that obvious? I have experience with bolt-actions and semi-auto pistols, but not rifles.

I don't think it's overly obvious how the buffer goes in, although it sure seemed like a hassle to dissamble the rifle for cleaning!

<edit>

AS long as I look stupid, are your guys stock wrenches slightly curved? I cannot use the stock wrench without it slipping and scratching up the castle nut and the buffer tube...

AT least it fired! =)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I can see this being a simple mistake for someone who is new. Thats ok, everyone starts out as a noob. What part of the wrench is curved?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How can you justify it being that obvious? I have experience with bolt-actions and semi-auto pistols, but not rifles.

I don't think it's overly obvious how the buffer goes in, although it sure seemed like a hassle to dissamble the rifle for cleaning!

<edit>

AS long as I look stupid, are your guys stock wrenches slightly curved? I cannot use the stock wrench without it slipping and scratching up the castle nut and the buffer tube...

AT least it fired! =)

Ya gotta make sure it curves to the left as your looking at it. Other wise ya gotta get another wrench.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can see this being a simple mistake for someone who is new. Thats ok, everyone starts out as a noob. What part of the wrench is curved?

A wise comment from a person who I will probably eventually meet. =)

It just seems like the half-crescent part of it is curved.  It's just really hard to use. My dad is very handy with tools and it was slipping like crazy on him.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]

wow, glad you did not break something
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Could be bent. I can't picture it right now. Come to think of it, I only ever used a wrench once, but I have put some stocks on with a dinner fork. DONT use a salad fork, they are lightweight and bend

You mentioned your dad. How old are you? I'm a young guy myself.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Just turning 20 a couple days ago. I go to school at UW and was home for half the weekend to go shooting. =)  Ironically I'm a mechanical engineering student.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just turning 20 a couple days ago. I go to school at UW and was home for half the weekend to go shooting. =)  Ironically I'm a mechanical engineering student.

Lol, Mechanical Engineering, nice. I'm 18. I'll be aplying to UW, UPS and Gonzaga shortly. My brother is at UPS after being turned down as a transfer at UW. Now that the Direct Transfer Agreement is done for, I may try to transfer in with some of my CC credits.

We're shooting in Chehalis later this month, check the Hometown board. You're definitely invited.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
If nothingseems to be damaged, your probably ok. For future reference....
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/accessories/qp-010.asp
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a carbine stock wrench. Mr 1 has them for a whole 5 dollars. They shouldnt hang you for the shipping. I just received some small parts and shipping was only two dollars. Those stock wrenchs are well worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the carbine stock wrench, and I can't get it to work right, which is why I thought it was bent.  I'll need to take pictures.

Fixed hotlink without <br>
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/accessories/qp-010.asp
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

LOL, I had a good friend do this exact same thing!  He fired over 80 rounds before we caught his mistake.  It did not damage anything in his rifle.  For some reason the AR15 will work like this.  Go figure!

I had a good friend of mine tell me once at work in a Car Dealership.  "If you aren't breaking things then you aren't trying".  If you work on things yourself, you are going to make mistakes, if you learn from them, then they are not mistakes, but lessons in life.

I don't have enough room here to list all the things I've broken, blownup, shattered, etc.  You'll have that!

Sounds like you got it straightened out, no harm no fowl!  Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#17]
One of my buddies did it for about a year (I hadnt been able to go shooting with him due to college getting in the way so I hadnt seen his rifle in person) until one day he started IM'ing me asking if there was supposed to be an upper retainer to hold the spring in better and asking why he had so many ejection problems.  I went like: and we soon figured out why he was having so many ejection problems: He didnt realize that he was supposed to have a buffer in the stock, he just had the spring.  

So far, I havent heard of any problems once he threw a buffer in there or of any damage to the rifle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ar15.com taught me how to put it together.  I just read "but the buffer spring in and the buffer and you're good to go. Well I wasn't good to go. =)

Instructions are kinda vague aren't they?

What is covered by that statement probably should be a paragraph long.  Not everyone is as mechanically inclined or has a mental picture of the assembly.

Please download one of the TMs they have all kinds of diagrams/illustrations and will help you immensely.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the same problem when I built my first one, couldn't tell how far to screw buffer tube in  or for sure which way buffer and spring went in. Someone on this board helped me along and it was like I thought it should be, just wasn't sure. Good pictures of these 2 areas would help newbies.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it's possible that the back of carrier key could have been hitting the rear of the receiver
since the end of the buffer is tapered it could have slid inside the carried just a little bit when in full recoil.

You could look for contact marks or burrs at the top of the loop where the buffer tube screws in the receiver.  I have seen this once before when a buffer tube was to long or had a bad buffer.

Court 223  (aka Court in FL.)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top