Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 2:45:49 PM EDT
...and can I find it in the Brownells catalog? I see they have one for removing the taper pins, but I don't see one for installing them?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I use standard pin punches for removal and installation without problems.  The concave ones designed help, but I've never owned or used any.

ETA:  It is funny that this comes up today, as i just took receipt of a postban Bushy 16" 1/7 barrel (AFRCOM group buy, my second barrel like this) and had the FSB off in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
827-530-320

Under the Armorers Set. I have one.

Brownells part number.

Can't link for some reason.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
827-530-320

Brownells part number.

Danny

Does that punch work on the big side of the taper pin for installation?    
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
827-530-320

Brownells part number.

Danny

Does that punch work on the big side of the taper pin for installation?    

Yes, that is what I use mine for.

I have thought about making a fixture to press the pin all the way in, rather than beating it.

Hasn't happened yet.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This is all you need:

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=TOOL%2D502&mscssid=N6XUC5FBCFJN9NGWQGD97XNN0SR3CXUD

This is what I use..... brass punches dont mark it up so bad.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy the CTD punches for the brass punches and hammer, the steel punches are too soft and will deform/bend on you the first time you use them.  For steel punches stick to craftsman, starett, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Craftsman  set for $10 is all I've used.  Start the pins with the biggest punch if the pin is protruding from the FSB on the bolt release side of the rifle. Then finish the job with a 1/16" punch.  Use a large punch to reinstall and use masking tape to protect the FSB from scratches.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, I have all the punches I need now.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top