Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 6:51:28 AM EDT
Well, I'm getting ready to get an AR as my first rifle. I want a 16" barrel. Only problem is that none of the big three kit companies (M&A, J&T, Model 1) offer a gov't chrome-lined 16" barrel (closest thing is a chrome-lined M4 kit from Model 1). I'm on a budget as well.

I can

a. Get a 14.5" M4 profile barrel and get over the fact that I can't change muzzle devices
b. Get a 16" kit and replace the barrel with a Bushy Superlight.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#1]
how about getting a chrome lined kit from J&T and send it off to ADCO to be reprofiled under the handguards...

I am looking for similar options, but want 1/7 which is pretty hard to find.  All have the M4 grenade cut and I would like to put a Spectre handguard on mine, but the grenade cut would still be visible and probably look odd in relation to the end of the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I'm absolutely sure that J&T does not offer a chrome-lined 16" gov't profile kit, unless it is not listed in the kits section.

If you guys would offer that 16" Expedition kit with a chrome-lining option, you'd have a happy customer . From what I've heard you guys have the best quality parts of the kit companies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Try calling them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:12:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]
looks like they have good service too !
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Uhh...I don't see any gov't profiles on the site, and the EM-4 barrel looks heavy under the handguards to me. So, you DO have gov't chrome-lined barrels that aren't listed? That would be awesome. You guys are by far the best kit company out there as far as quality of parts, so I'd much rather buy from y'all than go through the trouble of buying a Bushy barrel and having it installed and then selling the HBAR (my first plan).

I will certainly call or e-mail J&T about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
What is a 16 inch govt. profile barrel ? I thought they were all 20 inches.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]

What is a 16 inch govt. profile barrel ? I thought they were all 20 inches.

Gov't profile just refers to any barrel that is light in diameter (around .600-ish I suppose) under the handguards and heavy past the FSB. Frankly, the concept of the HBAR is kind of flawed; there are .30 cals (such as the M14, IIRC) that have a barrel diameter of .600 or less, and of course the bore is much thicker than a .223 bore so there is even less metal there. There is really no need for that extra metal on your barrel, and of course it adds to the weight, which sucks since the AR system is inherently fairly light.

JTDistributing- I'm turning 18 in a couple of months, and even though I could legally purchase an upper now, my folks won't let me even with my own money. 'No rifle in the house', they say, which basically means I have to find some self-storage place to keep this friggin rifle. And they have Kerry bumper stickers. Anyway, I won't be needing the upper for a couple of months anyway.

Would you consider offering the gov't profile chrome-lined barrel in a kit? Preferably 16", but 14.5" + welded flash hider would do just fine as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#11]
N3rday,
Please read and then re-read and re-read again, the above posts.   Not only do you contradict yourself, but you are arguing with the vendor and comin' off as someone who has a lot of "first-hand" knowledge... which you do not, by your own admission.  

We can all appreciate your enthusiasm, and it is encouraged, but any humility you may have, is not coming through in your posts.

Best of luck in your ventures.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
GandRTactical has LMT M4 goverment profile barrells
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]

N3rday,
Please read and then re-read and re-read again, the above posts. Not only do you contradict yourself, but you are arguing with the vendor and comin' off as someone who has a lot of "first-hand" knowledge... which you do not, by your own admission.

Mind being a little more specific? I can't find any self-contradictions in this post, nor any arguments with a vendor; I was only saying that the barrels they have merely were not listed on their site, which was still the case when I checked again a couple of minutes ago.

Anyway, I would definitely be in for an upper with a gov't chrome-lined barrel come my 18th, probably a 16". Depending on how my budget goes, I may also be in for a Phantom as well. It's still a couple more months before I have to decide, so I'll let you know.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top