Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:52:47 AM EDT
I used this procedure to shorten a Bushmaster 16" barrel and pin on a Phantom flash hider.

1.     Stripped and shortened the barrel with a bandsaw, then recrowned barrel in lathe.

2.     Turned down and threaded barrel.  Cold blued the bare metal.  Reinstalled front sight and barrel nut.

3.     Installed and indexed Phantom using a peel washer.

4.     Filed off Parkerizing on bottom of flash hider and drilled a .124" hole through the Phantom and into the barrel at least .125".

5.     Used a steel pin that I left just a bit long, and using a TIG welder, made a rosette weld out of it, fusing the pin and flash hider.

6.     Used AlumaHyde II, touched up the bottom of the Phantom.

Overall length is about 16.25 inches.

Now, along comes my idiot brother-in-law who claims I need to use three spotwelds between flash hider and barrel.

What's the scoop?

Arc
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
You're good.  Blind pinning and welding of a FH to meet NFA length limits is an ATF approved method of "permanently" attaching a FH.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Much obliged.  

I used to think the jokes about brother-in-laws were just jokes.  Then I got married.

Arc
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top