Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:57:45 AM EDT
I am in the process of building a new AR15 carbine. I very much like the look of the mid-length barrels. However, I have been told by several people I trust that Bushmaster makes the best barrels and Bushmaster does not make a mid-length. How does the quality and accuracy of the RRA barrels compare to Bushy? They have the barrel I want, but I do not want to sacrifice quality for looks. Also, Bushmaster claims on their website that their barrels are already properly headspaced. Is the same true of RRA? If RRA barrels ARE inferior, is there another vendor that has mid-length barrels that DO compare to Bushmaster's barrels?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA barrels are excellent.  You will notice no difference, and all their barrels are headspaced correctly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking for quality and accuracy, RRA barrels are EXCELLENT.  Only thing "inferior" is the barrel steel... 4140 in RRA, 4150 in Bushy.  You wont know the difference.  If anything, RRA barrels are reputed by members here to be more accurate than bushy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The steel is the only difference. RRA uses 4140 and Bushmaster uses 4150. Unless you plan on doing lot and lots of rapid fire or FA 4150 is not necesary at all and you won't know the difference. Now, if you want a midlength bbl in 4150 steel anyway then check out the group buy that's going on right now. See my sig below for the link.

This is the only barrel on the market like it. You won't find another one in this configuration anywhere and the price is good too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
NewbeHunter,
I posted almost the same thing in a parallel thread.

Hot link to the group buy:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=229035
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the Bushy barrel because of the chrome lined bore and chamber as well as the 4150 steel. I couldn't find a 20" or 24" RRA barrel w/ the chrome lining.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I went with the Bushy barrel because of the chrome lined bore and chamber as well as the 4150 steel. I couldn't find a 20" or 24" RRA barrel w/ the chrome lining.

Really? I'm pretty sure they make a 20" w/ chrome lining.

Anyway, he's looking for a carbine barrel, which would be a 16" and I'm positive that RRA has chrome lined 16"s. The one in the group buy is also a chrome lined if you haven't checked it out yet frogger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
After doing some research, I have found that Armalite has the exact barrel I want.  I can buy the entire kit for $222.  Does anyone know the quality of the Armalite barrels???
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Armalite is going to be pretty good quality.

What do you mean ' I can buy the entire kit for $222', what is included?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The kit includes everything forward of the upper receiver.  Barrel, front sight housing, front sight parts, barrel nut, gas tube, handguard, delta ring, etc...  EVERYTHING.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top