Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:16:58 AM EDT
Hi Guys:

I have a cosmetically challenged lower on the way.  I need feedback on lower finishes.

I intend to bead blast some of the crud and paint off the lower.  I find it typically seems to 'renew' aluminum and covers a lot of the little dings and scratches.  The question is, what do I do with it afterwards???

I can powder coat, but that typically leaves a glossier finish than I perfer.  I can anodize, but still need to finish and coat.

Anyone used Brownells GunKote?  What about the Lauer coating Midway sells?  Any other suggestions?

One criteria:  The coating can be any color, so long as it is matte black.

Frozenny
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hi Guys:

I have a cosmetically challenged lower on the way.  I need feedback on lower finishes.

I intend to bead blast some of the crud and paint off the lower.  I find it typically seems to 'renew' aluminum and covers a lot of the little dings and scratches.  The question is, what do I do with it afterwards???

I can powder coat, but that typically leaves a glossier finish than I perfer.  I can anodize, but still need to finish and coat.

Anyone used Brownells GunKote?  What about the Lauer coating Midway sells?  Any other suggestions?

One criteria:  The coating can be any color, so long as it is matte black.

Frozenny

I don't really understand your comment about an anodized receiver needing a finish and coat (does he get cold?).  Anodizing is the finish.  The color is appplied by dying the anodize before sealing.

There is a reason commercial AR manufacturers anodize their receivers rather than painting.  I would not paint anything other than an AK or FAL frankengun, unless I wanted camo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple anodize and color results in waht seems like a fairly "soft" finish.  We usually apply a finish coat of some form.  While the finish coat (clear krylon) is okay, I have some doubt regarding its resistance to CLP.  Hence my request for additional information
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#3]
can you apply gunkote over the stock finish, or do you have to do other things for prep?

Scott
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Simple anodize and color results in waht seems like a fairly "soft" finish.  We usually apply a finish coat of some form.  While the finish coat (clear krylon) is okay, I have some doubt regarding its resistance to CLP.  Hence my request for additional information

If that's the case, then you are doing it wrong, since anodization (aluminum oxide) is rated 9+ on a scale of 1-10, with diamond = 10.

Gunkote has gotten good results, as has Norrell's Moly Lube.  Both of  which seem to be impervious to most gun cleaning products.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is a link on how to use Norrells to refinish an AR15.
www.glocksunlocked.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10200

Heres a pic of a lower I refinished with Norrells...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
can you apply gunkote over the stock finish, or do you have to do other things for prep?

Scott

You can apply both Norrell's and GunKote over the anodization, which makes a good base. Don't sand/beadblast or do anything other than thoroughly degrease and clean. Sand/beadblasting will remove the anodization which will affect the wearability/durability of the lower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Stickman's lower looks great.  You just could not ask for better than that.

Norrell's has had a longtime good reputation.  

Lauer's Duracoat finished firearms also turn out very nice.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top