Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:54:37 PM EDT
I just recently assembled a new AR and the takedown pin is ridiculously tight. I know it's good for it to be kinda tight, but you need a rubber mallet to get this one to go down all the way. What can I do to loosen it up a bit?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
shoot a couple thousand rounds!  it will loosen up on its own
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with stingerjg.  The last one I built was like you describe.  It has now loosened up to the point I can get it out with my thumb.  I suggest you put some CLP on the pin and work it back and forth.  This should help loosen it up.  You could also cut a coil off the detent spring, but I would do that as a last resort.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Was it a DPMS parts kit? Both of my pins in my DPMS kit were way too tight, even after sanding them down. I bought a couple of pins from the local shop and they were a perfect fit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a pin question. If I have a Colt sporter receiver with the Receiver Pivot Pin, .250", Screw Type, can I remove it and install a normal receiver pivot pin NON SCREW type? The regular one? And then safely put the whole rifle back together and use it with no worries?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I also have a pin question. If I have a Colt sporter receiver with the Receiver Pivot Pin, .250", Screw Type, can I remove it and install a normal receiver pivot pin NON SCREW type? The regular one? And then safely put the whole rifle back together and use it with no worries?

Yes. I have a Colt Sporter Target I did just exactly that with.

The only problem will be if the lower is NOT drilled for the detent spring and plunger. Mine was, including the weep hole, but some weren't.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The only problem will be if the lower is NOT drilled for the detent spring and plunger. Mine was, including the weep hole, but some weren't.

Lonny

And then what is the best solution?  I contacted a number of AR15 smiths and while the better ones could all do the drilling, they unanimously remarked that they've never done it before and no one has ever requested it.

I recently ordered the DPMS QR pin that apparently was made for this situation.  It'll get here in a few days.

I'm just wonder what other alternatives are out there?  I'm not crazy about a pin that only has a self-contained ball detent to hold it in place.  Or maybe this pin is secure enough?  Guess I'll find out.

Corey
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top