Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 9:47:11 PM EDT
So I'm going to be picking up an Ameetec lower this week, and I want to put the lower together while I wait for the AWB to set. I know where the Lower assembly guide is, but I don't recall it listing everything that should be lubed during assembly. Other than Moly on the buffer tube threads, what else needs to be lubed? Selector switch, bolt catch plunger, etc.? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I always put a light coat of CLP on my parts as I assemble them, and I use a small amount of blue loctite on the threads of my buffer tube so it will stay on tight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You will be lubing in the future with, most likely, Breakfree CLP.  CLP does not like to be mixed with other oils.  Just do it all with Breakfree.  If you use another product for normal lubing, use that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure to use Moly grease on the stock threads and barrel threads.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I'll have to go down to the auto shop for some Moly. I bought an assembled upper, so I just need to get the stock on the lower.

I'll also have to pick up some CLP for everything else. do I just lube inside the parts where they ride on the pins, or do I lightly lube the whole part? Do I put lube on the hammer and trigger where they contact? Thanks for the help so far.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
While I doubt I have the experience with alot of other builders here, I will pass on observation from when I assembled my CMT/Stag lower awhile back.  Everything in my RRA lower parts kit was coated with a preservative (light cosmolene).  I cleaned off everything (very hot soapy water) and dried all the components.  Prior to assembly, I lightly coated everythiing with Tetra Grease, including all pin holes in the lower itself.  Everything when together without a hitch.  Perfect.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Tetra Grease is found at auto parts stores, correct? Would Moly work, or would it cause rusting due to it's water absorbing (attracting?) characterisitics (from what I've read about Moly coated bullets)? I have everything but a lower and my RRA upper, which should be in the mail soon. I'm completely stoked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Tetra is sold at gun dealers, not auto parts stores.
The problem with moly bullets does not apply to moly grease.

I put Tetra grease on the hammer/trigger pins, a dab on the safety selector detent and in the pivot/takedown pin grooves.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top