Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2004 2:21:04 AM EDT
I'm looking into a 16" car rra, what barrel choice would be better, I thought stainless with a wilson break, or should i go with the regular bbl with the wilson, stainless to me looks better but with this length and model would it matter  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
When I bought mine from ADCO, I was originally going with stainless.  But when I talked to Steve and found out there was a 4-6 week wait on the stainless, I went with the chrome/moly.  Stainless will offer more corrosion resistance, but if you take care of your rifle, either will serve you well.

Make your pick, and enjoy.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard that chromemoly steel barrels dissipate heats better than stainless, so depends on what you plan on doing with your gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are firing full auto, or dumping LOTS of mags, stainless will not be a problem.  Any barrel can be damaged by too much heat.  

I have had SS barrels from Oly, 16" carbine and 20" "heavy" rifle, and they held up very well.  I sold the 20" to a LEO friend, as it was 100% reliable.  I gave the 16" to one of my sons who put a LOT of rounds through it.  We finally changed the barrel due to wear on the bolt lugs and the lugs on the barrel extension.  Examination via bore scope showed negligable throat erosion, and other than the wear on the lugs, it had years of life left in it.

I would not hesitate to buy SS in the future, I just see no drawbacks to it.  A big plus is corrosion resistance.

My next choice is chrome lined chromemoly.  But I also have unchromed chromemoly barrels that perform very well.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top