Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2004 8:37:34 AM EDT
Where do I buy a 80% lower? I have found a few But they want $120-$150 for them. I jut bought a compleat lower for $80. Why are the 80% so much more. Dose it cost more to not do all the machine work and not put a finsh on them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The Tannery Shop is back in business, try http://www.tanneryshop.com/PRODUCTS.html

From the tannery shop's site:

BACK IN BUSINESS SALE
SEND MONEY ORDER , PERSONAL CHECK , PAY PAL
BACK FROM IRAQ NOW
IM HERE TO SERVE YOU!
AR15
80% ALUM CASTING #1 GRADE.................80.00
80% ALUM CASTING #2 GRADE.................50.00
A1 ALUM UPPER ........................................45.00
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
No phone number, no email addy-wish I could ask a couple questions.  Best deal I've seen on an 80% lower yet, I might get two of them.
Anybody ever dealt with this guy before?

1911fan
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't get the Tannery cast or any cast peices, they are not near the quality of the forged peices, spend the extra $40 or whatever it is, and get the forged one the end result is much beter and does not need to be "fitted" in regards to the mag well or FCG area because castings can swell or have variances in those 2 places, and a machined billet is not going to.

For forged ones you can go to Kt Ordnance
NOC
ShadeTree Armory

For cast ones there is Tannery, Capt Freedom(?) and some others.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing wrong with the Tannery Shop castings, although they do require more work, as do all castings. If you're not up to the extra work, stick to the forgings.

Tannery Shop has been around for years...long before KTOrdnance came into existence and long before NOC began selling their products. In fact, NOC made the castings that Tannery originally sold and when the owner of the Tannery Shop was called to active duty, he transferred all their sales to NOC which is when they became active in the arena. He is back now, has recovered from his injuries and is re-starting his business. I'm sure the phone number and other contact information will be updated shortly.

Updated to add that there are email addresses listed on the site:

[email protected]
OR
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This is good news I've been waiting to build a 80% receiver . Now that the Tannery shop is back in business I think I will order one to go along with my blemished A3 upper from LAR .
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Footpounds has quite a few links to various 80% suppliers
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just don't understand the attraction of these things.  Why would you pay more for an unfinished piece than for one all done?  Yeah, yeah, no "paperwork".  Big deal; buy a whole rifle privately and get the same thing.  Oh well, that my .02.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The "no paperwork" is no attraction, to me.

However, being one who has always been attracted to mechanical things, it just makes sense to build my own with a stripped lower.  Next step is an 80% and then onto a 0%.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It has nothing to do with paperwork or cost.

Anyone can just buy a rifle or gun. Not all can make their own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup...having gain the knowledge and power to "make-your-own" is the biggest reward!!...=)
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just want to build one for some thing to do. But i feel I am geting rippied off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#12]
OMG, not another mongo.  There's only enough room for one mongo here.

BTW good luck in your search.  Stick with forgings only.  Castings are cheaper, but somewhat weaker.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I can completely understand the satisfaction of completing a creative process.  I prefer to buy the receiver all done (have FFL, so that helps) and focus my efforts on making barrels from blanks.  Working on a 6.8, that's what finally pushed me over the edge into the black rifle game (addiction).  Bought a Bushy A2 off EE just to have one to shoot while working on the 6.8.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#14]
check in shotgun news, saw someones ad in there and they had them for 3 for 125 or something like that, I don't know if they were 80% or not but do know they needed alot done to finish them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can completely understand the satisfaction of completing a creative process. I prefer to buy the receiver all done (have FFL, so that helps) and focus my efforts on making barrels from blanks.

As far as making your own barrel, I just don't understand the attraction of these things. Why would you pay more for to finish one yourself than for one all done?  Oh well, thats my .02.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I use to have Mongo when i was on hear 98-99. But I lost the password an do not have acess to old email to getit
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't recommend the tannery cast 80% lowers, I've had 2 of them that I was modding for painball markers, and both have failed under normal handling, not to mention that they are extremely pourous. Go with a forged 80% lower
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top