Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2004 7:43:59 AM EDT
I know this has been covered, but jus curious. Im not talkin the ppl that get ARs handed to them or someone bought for them, but one that you went out and searched the parts and paid for.

Right now, Ill have a max of $395bux into a fully functioning AR.

Brandnew OLY complete lower w/ stock $150
non Chrome 16" barrel with delta ring, gas tube and handguards $65 (barely used)
Upper receiver (brandnew) $80 bux (dunno who makes it)(Flat top though)
Bolt and carrier assembly $100bux, bolt new, carrier barely used.
T handle (donated) okay this one was free oh well.

so far this puts me at 395.

the only other cost would be to find a cheap detachable carry handle with sites or something else for rear siting, the barrel has conventional site post.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
$10 -- won it in a raffle.  DPMS Varmit bull barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
$10 -- won it in a raffle.  DPMS Varmit bull barrel.

Hey, you don't count!

I don't know what the cheapest is for mine.  I loose track.......

I had a lower given to me once....and it had the grip and buttstock on it already......so I guess I can't count that build.

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
A little under $160, and everything was brand new. It isn't a fair comparission, because many of the parts were bought at massive discount, and some of the parts were free.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
lol..yeah I figured Id get these response, but thats cool. Im tryin to get more donated parts myself.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]

A little under $160, and everything was brand new. It isn't a fair comparission, because many of the parts were bought at massive discount, and some of the parts were free.

Im tryin to get more donated parts myself.

Please, let me in on your secrets...I am doing a summer AR build. My parents might buy the receiver. Who donated parts to you? Relatives or something?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
$117 delivered, all COLT fully automatic, 20" chromelined barrel, M16.

My taxes paid for it, does that count?

Spring 1967 this is what my Uncle Sam got them for.

Kinda makes you sick, don't it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Taking in all donations of free AR parts,Thanks  
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Please, let me in on your secrets...I am doing a summer AR build. My parents might buy the receiver. Who donated parts to you? Relatives or something?

Much of it is from companies, and much of it is gifted to me to T&E.  

An example would be that I was recently given a M4 barrel that has a finish similar to Tennifer (like the Glocks), but is under a different trade name.  The barrel is fantastic, and will probably never be "shot out", no matter how many rounds I put through it.  I have turned this into my mule barrel/ upper.  Sadly, this company does not look like they have any plans to produce this, which is an honest shame.

There are other examples, but you get the idea.  Much of it is simply being in the right place at the right time.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Least expensive AR.......my CMP service rifle.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought an M16 parts kit from Tapco a few years ago, Anyone remember those?

Cost was $275 +$10 shipping. I then bought a stripped lower for $90. Total was $375.

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Any donated parts would be great. Please. Pretty please. IM me. Please. Anything you can give me, except for barrels (gonna buy new).

I am going to have to pay for BOTH retainers I lost at the theatre...those things are like $200 EACH. Thats a whole month of part time work. Ouchies.
Anyway, my project currently runs at $750ish, but that is with a free float rail system and a BUIS. The rifle itself will only come out to $550ish, which I think is a pretty good price for a 16" chrome-lined rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#12]
come on guys let's stop beging and stick to the topic.

halik
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any donated parts would be great. Please. Pretty please. IM me. Please. Anything you can give me, except for barrels (gonna buy new).

The way to donations is through joining the military, or becoming a cop.  If you do either, get real good at something to do with weapons, and companies will be interested.  Until then, it is up to you.  Work and save, and look for good bargins when they come around.

I think you are going to be looking at about $500 to piece together a halfway decent AR out of new parts.  If you are willing to use some used parts, you should be able to cut the price by $75-125 or maybe even more.

This one was $500ish.

The top one was under $450...  The bottom was more.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Wow!  Where did you find a complete lower with stock for $150?  

The cheapest I've come up with so far for a decent quality rifle is $570, but that assumes I want to use Model 1 lower parts (which I don't given another thread in this forum).  $570 includes $450 for a Model 1 CAR kit and $120 for a DPMS lower receiver (that price for the lower includes the FFL dealers markup).  Still, that's not bad.  If I add a DPMS lower parts kit, the price becomes $630.  However, I've got my eye on about $95 worth of add-ons, also.  So make it $725.

Still, I think that's quite reasonable at this point.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#15]
KClapp,

since you are getting palin jane model 1 16 carbine kit for $450 why not get the RRA kit from ADCO for the same price????? That way u will have top of the line carbine for the same price...

just a thought

halik
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]

I think you are going to be looking at about $500 to piece together a halfway decent AR out of new parts. If you are willing to use some used parts, you should be able to cut the price by $75-125 or maybe even more.

This one was $500ish

Would you mind telling me where you got the parts? As of now, brand new, it looks like $550 is as cheap as I can get it. It is actually MORE expensive for me to build since I don't have an upper receiver action block or an armorer's wrench.

Those are certainly some amazing looking rifles!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
KClapp,

since you are getting palin jane model 1 16 carbine kit for $450 why not get the RRA kit from ADCO for the same price????? That way u will have top of the line carbine for the same price...

just a thought

halik

Some good info there!  The Model 1 kit has chrome chamber and bore.  That is important  to me for a couple of reasons.  But if those RRA kits/uppers can be ordered with chrome chamber/bore, I would much prefer to go that route.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
has anyone put together one of the DPMS kits from FAC?  It seems like a decent price.  After shipping and FFL fees it ought to be near $550.

Did you have any problems with it?

www.gunsnstuff.net/FAC/039.asp
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top