Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 6:47:59 PM EDT
First off let me appoligize if this has been asked before as the search function isn't working yet.
I'm getting ready to order a 24" SS upper from Model 1 or J&T(haven't decided yet)and I'm not sure which twist I should get if I go with the Model 1...1-8 or 1-9. Does the 1-8 work better with heavier bullets or is it the 1-9?
Also Anyone ordered a J&T with porting?Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what type (design grain, etc) bullets you will be firing.  Check out the Ammo Oracle for the scoop on what twists are for what bullets.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not the weight of the bullet that determines the optimum twist rate, it is the length of the bullet.  I guess the two are related.  If you plan on shooting 75 gr. and heavier rounds get the 1:8 twist, if you are just going to shoot 55's and under stick with the 1:9.  A 1:8 is capable of over-spinning a high velocity 40-45 gr. round, and it has been known to "disappear" in flight and never make it downrange, i.e. it disintegrates in flight.  55's will shoot just fine in a 1:8 and still give you the option of using longer bullets.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
As the 1/8 twist will handle ALL of the available 223 rounds I'd pick a rifle w/ 1/8 twist.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top