Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2004 12:12:01 PM EDT
Switched from the USGI to an aluminum with rails. Since it clamps on is there a good way to tell if the gas holes are properly aligned?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh, since you can't see the gas port holes in the barrel nor the block with the gas block on the barrel how can one "line them up?"

Pulling the trigger may be the only way to tell It sucks if it is
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I did to solve the nagging question mark in my retentive mind - Take a pencil or a fine Sharpie pen mark the center line of the gas hole onto the barrel where the gas block would stop (use a straight edge ruler if you want to be precise.)  Do the same for the new gas block's backside, where it stops against the barrel step.  Use those markings as indexing points, line them up and you're good to go.

Another way to do it is put a leveler on the receiver flattop, level it in the vise (padded of course), then do the same for the gas block.  The holes should line up this way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't suck as bad as I thought. I put the block on and visually aligned it. It wouldn't cycle so I hand cycled about 7 rounds. I then removed the block and there was a ring left by the gasses on the barrel. I could see where the block covered the edge of the hole in the barrel slightly. I reassembled and moved the block forward about an RCH and it works fine now.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
My goodness, here is what I do.  You plug the breech end of the barrel with a cork, piece of rubber, whatever you can find that will fit.  This may sound eerie to some, but then you blow through the muzzle while moving the block around until you can hear/feel the air escaping through the gas tube.  I know, sounds wierd, looks wierd when you are doing it ( my wife about freaked when she walked into the garage).  Point is it works, you can build it, put it away, and know it will shoot when you bring it out.  I've done this several times, and it's good for a cheap buzz at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My goodness, here is what I do.  You plug the breech end of the barrel with a cork, piece of rubber, whatever you can find that will fit.  This may sound eerie to some, but then you blow through the muzzle while moving the block around until you can hear/feel the air escaping through the gas tube.  I know, sounds wierd, looks wierd when you are doing it ( my wife about freaked when she walked into the garage).  Point is it works, you can build it, put it away, and know it will shoot when you bring it out.  I've done this several times, and it's good for a cheap buzz at the same time.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top