Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2004 7:13:18 AM EDT
I am considering building another AR and was wondering if anyone has any experience with J&T Distributing Chrome Lined kits? I was going to build with a RRA lower and then a RRA upper, but noticed some of their kits now come Chrome-lined, which is a must have for me. I'm just looking at the difference between going with a RRA upper or a J&T Kit. Anyone have any comments on the reliability or accuracy of their Chrome lined kits? Thanks in advance for any input.
Jason.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about their chrome lining but here's my .02 about their kits. I paid a little more for the expedition kit and a RRA lower so I would have a good all around rifle. The barrel on the expedition kit is not milled down under the hand guards, just in front of the front sight tower. My firing pin was soft and bent after 800 rounds. J&T said they would replace it but they never have. The charging handle is obviously a "second" with lots of matching marks and I expect it to break under heavy use. The firing pin retainer cotter pin was the wrong size and protruded from bolt carrier. The rear sight elevation wheel is purple not black. However the rifle has always functioned well and is accurate. It is just not up to the task of anything other than a fun gun. If you want a serious rifle your get what you pay for. I am upgrading to bushy or colt when the funds allow.
Good luck,
CD
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
o_O... you must be the only person on earth to have problems with JT.. mine's absolutely top-notch
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi, just ordered my first kit from JT and received only the upper when I was supposed to receive the kit. Called them on Tuesday and they apologized and said they would overnight the lower parts and buttstock to me...still waiting for its arrival after 4 days.

I understand that its holiday time and all but I would hesitate to call them top-notch. Top notch does overnight the shipment (or at least second day) when they make a mistake and admit to it and say they're going to do it. Plus how do you mistake an order for a kit and only ship the upper anyway? I would THINK someone should take a glance at the packing list?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered Kit from J&t Dist. and when it got here I thought it looked good. Everything went together great. Except one spring was screwed up. Called them and told them that a spring had come damage and they sent a new  front site for A2. I don't know exactly how they got mixed up but now I have brand new site. Still need spring so I ordered it elsewhere.
                    bubba4602
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a kit from J&T everything was perfect and went together good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Weird. My friend's box got damaged, and some of his LPK parts were lost.. JT overnighted him one, and we were at the range the next day.... joewitt, when that stuff comes, let us know how it was shipped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always heard good things about J&T.  They're in the Industry boards, you can IM them directly.

During high-volume times, things CAN get screwed up.

Won't stop me from buying from them when I get my money together to build a serious rifle.

Panz
[bounce]
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I had several problems with my J&T kit at first.  The chamber had park sprayed in it so I tried to ream it out with a chamber brush and drill, like J&T told me to, no luck.  Sent it back and got a new upper in 2 weeks. This time the inside of the upper reciever was bare, no park at all.  Sent it back and 2 weeks later finaly got a good upper.  For my 40 dollers shipping they gave me a badger tack latch.  
Would I buy from them again, no.

I hate being a bitcher but they are not a
"top notch" company in my opinion.

I almost forgot, my friends J&T kit turned into a single shot after about 500 rounds, loose gas block. Other than that his has been just fine.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/4/2004 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Picked up a J&T Chrome lined M4gery profile barrel & kit last year.  (The one with the kick ass muzzle break that looks a lot like the standard f/s).

I've got about 1000 rounds through it, and let me tell you -- I love it.

Not a single jam yet.  (True, I am religious about good magazines, but still).

Mine shoots sub MOA if I do my part (which, unfortunately, isn't often these days as my eyesight goes downhill).

My typical group with open sights:  2.5 - 3.5 inches at 100, off sandbags using Lake City.  A lot of folks can do better, and the rifle is surely capable of it.  (Never scoped it up, so I can't tell).

Be aware that once you go to chrome lined, the finish will be parkerizing and not black oxide.  

Still, very cool.  J&T uses a nice dark park finish.  I like mine alot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top