Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 12:07:39 AM EDT
I'm going to change my AR barrel.  I am in the process of purchasing an action block, but I have 2 choices in the tool.  One is DPMS's Multi-Tool.  The other is Smith Enterprises' Armorers Wrench.  Which should I get?  

I'm also going to get a spacegauge for a peace of mind.  I figure NoGo is the only required right?  As long as it closes on live round, and doesn't close on NoGo, the AR is safe to shoot right?  And is there anything else I'd need for the process of changing the barrel?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with the smith tool, but the DPMS tool i bought a couple of years ago sucks.  I now use a GI combo tool.

No go should do it.

You'll need a punch to remove the gas tube roll pin, some moly lube for the reciever threads, and a torque wrench for the barrel nut.  Thats all i can think of until i get my first cup o'joe in me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything made by Ron Smith's company I'd trust.

As most ARs are are headspaced at the factory by properly mounting the barrel to the barrel extension, they come ready to go. Use a new bolt and there should be no problems headspace wise.

Small vise grips help with the gas tube installation and removal, ice pick works for gas tube hole "alignment" through barrel nut, snap ring assembly.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm going to change my AR barrel.  I am in the process of purchasing an action block, but I have 2 choices in the tool.  One is DPMS's Multi-Tool.  The other is Smith Enterprises' Armorers Wrench.  Which should I get?
View Quote

Bushmaster carries a useful [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-wrench.asp]barrel wrench[/url].  That's what I use and it works great.  They also have a nice [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/om-003.asp]action block[/url]

I'm also going to get a spacegauge for a peace of mind.  I figure NoGo is the only required right?  As long as it closes on live round, and doesn't close on NoGo, the AR is safe to shoot right?
View Quote

Forget the No-Go gauge - many new bolts/barrels will close on a SAAMI No-Go.  If you really have to have one, get a Field gauge, but keep in mind they're only used to measure if a barrel is worn out.  As long as the bolt closes on a live round it's safe to shoot.

And is there anything else I'd need for the process of changing the barrel?  Thanks.
View Quote

Everything you need to know is [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=173151]right here.[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The one on Bushmaster site is the Smith Enterprise wrench.  But the barrel guide starter said he used DPMS.  I just want to make sure that DPMS does the same thing as the Smith Enterprise kind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But the barrel guide starter said he used DPMS.
View Quote

What's a "barrel guide starter?"
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's a "barrel guide starter?"
View Quote

Oh, sorry I must not have been thinking right, I meant to the say the guy who posted at the link you provided.  Member named "pbuff" said the following, which he mentioned "DPMS barrel removal tool".  I think that's the same one that Brownell's selling.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a DPMS armorer's wrench and it works perfect. It has a slot for flash-hiders, slot for the extension, teeth for a standard barrel nut, pegs for a freefloat tube, and a wrench for the carbine extension. Not sure what would make this tool "suck".
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the Bushmaster (Smith?) wrench is a bit stouter than the DPMS wrench.  There was a thread post some time back about one guy who broke his DPMS wrench trying to get a FS off.  I have the BM wrench and there is no way you can break one of those.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
: DO NOT buy the barrel wrench someone sells on this board. The wrench bushmaster sells is what I use and it's perfect.
 I bought a generic multi wrench off the EE and it was so out of spec it--->

- the barrel nut part was just wide enough to sit high in the barrel nut to break off the top of the teeth. I ended up taking a couple hours to get it off as after I broke off many teeth with the pos I had to resort to unconventional means.
- The FlashHider removal part of the tool was just wide enough that when you torqued on the FH it would slip off, thus rounding the corner of the FH. This really ruined my day, because I was stupid enough to try the same tool after I just ruined my barrel nut.(I'm thick ok) If there is any part of a tool you don't want play in, it's the fh part, because everyone uses l.tight on the fh install and you need to really torque them off sometimes.
 Remember, when someone puts an ad up for a wrench on the EE, you can't say anything there if it's a POS due to board rules. I think many lads are going to be in the same spot I was, because the ads sound good and people see other lads buying them and no negative feedback.
 Stick with the Bm tool, rant over:)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top