Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 5:10:55 PM EDT
I Have a choice of two single stage trigger systems that are availiable to me for self installation and will be used for varmint and informal target shooting. Which of the two is the more reliable for long term use....Please ad any other pros and cons relating to these two triggers......Thanks....Hutt
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the Jard, but have two rifles with the complete JP Fire Control System (hammer, trigger, springs, and pins).  I don't believe you could ask for a finer feeling trigger. All the mechanical motions/engagements are adjustable with the average pull at 3 to 3.5 lbs.  The JP system is obviously not a drop-in, but very easy to install.  Their instructions are excellent.  Just be sure that the trigger unit is completely degreased before applying the LocTite to the adjustment screws.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm an avid prarie dog shooter using my varmiter ar and i use a RRA 2 stage NM trigger.  I love it and it's never failed me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have no experience with the Jard, but have two rifles with the complete JP Fire Control System (hammer, trigger, springs, and pins).  I don't believe you could ask for a finer feeling trigger. All the mechanical motions/engagements are adjustable with the average pull at 3 to 3.5 lbs.  The JP system is obviously not a drop-in, but very easy to install.  Their instructions are excellent.  Just be sure that the trigger unit is completely degreased before applying the LocTite to the adjustment screws.
View Quote

You say the JP is adjustable for sear, overtravel, and disconnector?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, yes, and no.  

Sear engagement and overtravel of the JP system are adjusted by small setscrews in the trigger unit.  Disconnector engagement (if required) is done the old fashioned way by grinding or filing the front of the disco or the hammer hook.  The trigger and sear angles on the JP are very near parallel so "camming" is nearly non-existant during takeup.  This together with light springs reduce the pull to about 3 lbs.

If you plan to really take the sear engagement to the minimum limits, then I would suggest using JPs (or whoever) oversized trigger & hammer pins to remove all the slop you can for reliable, safe trigger operation.

Here's their instructions for trigger adjustment using both stock and JP Speed hammers:

[url]http://www.jprifles.com/instructions/FireControl.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the Jard system (single stage) with sear, overtravel, safty, and disconect adjustments. IMHO not having to file parts seems that is not a truly adjustable trigger as is the Jewell and the Jard.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top