Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 11:04:24 PM EDT
The AWB states that if I finish a 80%lower then I can never sell it because it is "For personal use ONLY"  unless I go thru the paperwork. My question is, If I finish a 80% lower can I build it into any spec I wish and still be legal or would I have to build it to post ban spec's or can I build it to pistal specs or would I have to have the barrel 16in or longer. I am not a lawyer so reading the AWB just gave me a headache. Can anybody help out. I am sorry if I am bringing this issuse up again, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I forgot to mention, I got a letter from BATF stating that basicly that since it is not registared and "For Personal use ONLY" that I can do what I want BUT I CANNOT convert it to full auto and has to stay in a semi mode only. I just wanted to ask you all since the BATF and the A.G. speak in riddles whan asked about this. Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I forgot to mention, I got a letter from BATF stating that basicly that since it is not registared and "For Personal use ONLY" that I can do what I want BUT I CANNOT convert it to full auto and has to stay in a semi mode only. I just wanted to ask you all since the BATF and the A.G. speak in riddles whan asked about this. Thanks again
View Quote

It has to be post-ban, but you can sell it if you every need to.  Its just not supposed to be manufacturered with intent to sell.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I just needed a straight answer on this since everyone I call hym's and haa's about this issuse.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I noticed you are in California. Remember that you must follow the local laws in your area also.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the heads up. I think this state needs to change it's spelling to Kalifornia (personal opionion)
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The AWB states that if I finish a 80%lower then I can never sell it because it is "For personal use ONLY"  unless I go thru the paperwork.
View Quote

You must have a different AWB than the rest of us because 80% lowers aren't even mentioned in the 1994 AWB and it sure doesn't say anything about personal use only.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
this is a qoate I got "If you build your own firearm in this way, then you are acting as a firearms manufacturer which is perfectly legal as long as it is for personal use only. Much as it's legal to make all the homemade wine/beer that you want as long as it is not for resale....(well same basic idea anyway)."

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
[img]acmearms.com/caldoj-80letter_small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The 'quote' you got was wrong. First, it is not part of the AWB. Second, you can not make or complete a firearm with the INTENT or for the PURPOSE of selling it. It doesn't say you can never sell it, just that you can't make it for the purpose of selling it. Making it with intent to sell is what makes you a manufacturer in the eyes of BATFE.

In any case, you have to deal with the requirements of Calif laws which only complicate the situation, if not prohibit the completion unless certain requirements are met (and probably approved) per the letter posted by Notack.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you. I knew you guys would come thru for me. All of you have answer the question for me. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top